- 12 Days of Cricut Deals 2019
Are you searching for your next heavy duty sewing machine? How about Singer 4423? It is cheaper than normal sewing machines. However, it delivers the same or even better results than other sewing machines. It is a portable model which works great with heavy materials.
We already covered Singer Heavy Duty 4411 in great depth in our previous review. This time, we will cover its close sibling, the Heavy Duty 4423 which does enough things differently to warrant an in-depth analysis.
You will enjoy sewing denim, leather and other thick fabrics with ease if you purchase this model. However, just like every other sewing machines, Singer 4423 has both benefits and flaws. Let’s jump into the review and reveal everything you need to know before you buy it.
Singer Heavy Duty 4423 at a Glance
But, before we proceed to review the machine in more detail, here are the basic specs for the impatient ones:
|Name||Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine|
|Dimensions||15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches|
|Number of sewing feet||4|
|The Largest Pro||Power and speed at an affordable price|
|The Largest Con||The lack of advanced options|
The specs sheet is always a good thing to skim on, but it often can’t present the whole picture. That’s why my detailed review is for. Scroll down and read below:
Why Singer 4423 Among Other Models?
Let’s start with the fact that you will buy from a popular and trusted brand on the market. “Singer” has been one of the best sellers of consumer and artisan sewing machines on the market for years. It has been on the market since 1851. It is way older than other sewing machine companies. And it has a vibrant, amazing history we were surprised to learn about.
Apparently, Singer was one of the first sewing companies in the world to produce the first portable machine. And that is not all. It was a computer-controlled machine. So, you cannot go wrong when buying from this brand. Also, the Singer 4423 is one of their best models.
Designed to support heavy-duty stitching, Singer 4423 will make your every sewing dream come true. It looks like nothing can stand on the way of this workhorse. It can sew almost everything that you can think possibly of, including leather, canvas, and denim. You name it.
Also, it has a stronger and more powerful motor than other sewing machines in the market. However, the best part is that even though it is a heavy duty sewing machine, it is not very heavy. It has medium weight, so you can easily move it around the home or your workplace.
It weighs 14.5 pounds and measures 15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches. Other heavy duty machines do not weight this much. They weight more. And they take more space. However, Singer 4423 is the dream come true of everyone. No matter if you are a newbie or a pro, you will love it.
Important Features of Singer 4432 Sewing Machine
If you want to learn more about this model, keep on reading. We will reveal every feature of this nice sewing machine and provide a detailed explanation of each and every one of it.
Singer 4423 can sew up to 1,100 stitches per minute. And for a mid-range sewing machine, you know this is a good number. It is super fast, unlike other sewing machines that can sew between 500 – 600 stitches per minute. Some models made for pros do not sew this quick.
Endurance and Versatility
If you wonder what fabrics can Singer 4423 handle, we have mentioned this at the start. It can handle basically everything you throw at the table, starting from denim, corduroy, leather, vinyl, canvas and so much more. You can make your own vests and leather jackets.
However, it does not work with heavy materials only. It is perfectly functional with thin, delicate materials as well. It will produce quality stitches that will make you proud of your crafts. Do not worry if you want to finish projects involving stretchy lycra, satin, rayon or silk. Singer 4423 will help you out and make sure that you are satisfied with the outcome.
Quick tip: Make sure you pick the right needle when sewing a thicker material because no matter how powerful a sewing machine can be if you choose the wrong needle, it might not function properly. So, pay attention to the thickness of the needle as well. And remember that if you are only sewing the thickest material, this might not be the best model for you.
If you want to sew one layer of plastic and two layers of canvas, Singer 4423 will not offer the most satisfying results. And let’s not forget that it is a home sewing machine after all.
Number of Stitches
If you were wondering the number of stitches, Singer 4423 comes with 23 stitches which is more than enough for beginners. You will get it with 6 basic stitches, 2 stretch stitches, 12 decorative stitches, and 1 buttonhole. If you need more, consider buying a Singer 4432.
Are they adjustable?
Yes, the stitches are adjustable. This an important feature to look out for when buying a sewing machine. The longer stitches match thicker materials. And the shorter suit lighter and thinner ones. The length begins at 0.5 and offers 4 settings up to the width of 4mm.
And the width begins at 0 through 6 settings to the largest width of 6mm. When you can adjust the length, you are free to create different effects which are absolutely incredible and important for creative crafters. Singer 4423 gives you complete freedom over sewing.
How hard is it to use?
It is natural to wonder if the machine you are buying is easy to use or not. Most brands say that their products are easy to use, when in fact, they are not. However, it is not that way with this brand. Singer 4423 is user-friendly and easy to work with, especially for newbies.
Still, if you get caught up in difficulties, you can always check out YouTube videos. Also, it comes with a manual, so you can follow detailed instructions and easily set up your machine.
After, you will enjoy a smooth sewing experience thanks to the following modern features:
- Automatic needle threader (No frustration or eyestrain)
- A top-drop-in bobbin (Easy insert/remove, know when the thread is running low)
- Automatic reverse (Meaning, you can reinforce your stitches)
- A foot control pedal (Adjustable speed, you can regulate how fast you sew)
- Snap-on presser feet (It allows you to change the presser foot immediately)
- Onboard storage (Easy access to parts stored in the detachable sewing bed)
- Free arm (Easy access to cuffs, hems, collars and other unreachable spots)
- Adjustable stitch length and width (one of the most important features )
- 3 Needle positions (In order to match your specialty stitching)
- Adjustable presser foot pressure control (Align the pressure with the fabric)
- Extra-high presser foot lifter (Better clearance when sewing thicker fabrics)
As you can notice, Singer 4423 is feature-rich. However, most importantly, they are all modern features in order to provide a smooth sewing experience and best ending results.
Foot Control Pedal
Most people wonder about the sensitivity of the foot speed control of Singer 4423 and other heavy-duty sewing machines. According to our research, we have found out that it does not take much pressure to produce a high speed with the Singer 4423 sewing model.
The Flexibility of the Presser Foot
If you wonder if the presser foot is flexible to use, the answer is, yes. And in 2 different ways. First, you can raise it for multi-layered or thicker materials. Or leave it in a normal position for different, lighter materials. Second, it comes pre-set, so adjusting it for thin or thick fabric weight is not necessary. It is ideal for newbies who are learning how to sew.
However, advanced sewers can adjust the pressure. And it is not hard at all. Just insert a coin to turn the pressure adjusting screw and you are good to go. It is ideal for pros too.
If you were wondering if the thread tension is adjustable, the answer is, yes, it is. You can adjust the tension in order to gain the best stitch quality for your material. Meaning, you control the upper thread tension and you do not have to worry if the lower one is set right.
How Many Feet Types?
Singer 4423 has 4 different feet types, including zipper foot, buttonhole foot, all-purpose foot, and a button sewing foot. As you can notice, they are the standard types of feet you get with almost every sewing machine.
It takes a single automatic step to create the perfect buttonholes. If you want to create something out of the ordinary and finish more complex crafts, you will have to purchase 9 other feet, including blind hem, cording, satin stitch, quilting/straight stitch, overcasting, gathering, even feed or darning/embroidery. Check out the presser feet page for details.
How Loud is Singer 4423?
Every sewing machine makes noise, right? Heavy-duty sewing machines, especially. Still, if you give Singer 4423 a chance, you will enjoy great sewing without a loud noise. According to our research and the Singer 4423 reviews online, no one is complaining about the noise.
And if you want to know if the light is bright enough, the answer is, yes. Singer 4423 has a built-in LED which provides all the light you need for finishing larger and detailed projects.
How about the warranty?
The company offers a 25-year limited warranty on the Singer 4423. However, there are important details you should pay attention to. For example, the warranty of the electronic components, light assembly, speed control, switches, motors, and wiring is only 2 years.
The sewing machine head is covered for 25 years, while rings, attachments, belts, bulbs or other adjustments have 90 days of warranty. Keep in mind that if you encounter a factory defect, you can get free parts and labor in the next 90 days after the date of purchase.
If you want to purchase a secondhand Singer 4423, we do not recommend this option since the original warranty is not valid. We suggest you buy a new one since it is very affordable.
The Key Features of Singer Heavy Duty 4423
Although it lacks a lot of advanced features we came to expect even from the more affordable models, the core specs of HD 4423 are more than deserving of a brief review.
So, let’s take a look at some of the 4423s highlights.
- The sewing speed of 1,100 SPM – Featuring one of the highest speeds in the entry-level and mid-range segments, 4423 is capable of breezing even through large-scale projects in no time.
- Powerful 105W motor – True to its name, Heavy Duty 4423 is capable of stitching even the rougher materials like upholstery and upholstery, denim and soft leather (you can also plow through several layers of lighter materials).
- 23 built-in stitches – Covering a number of basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches, 4423 packs a decent amount of features that allow novice tailors to sharpen their sewing skills. This solid core is further expanded by the ability to adjust the length and width of stitch patterns.
- Automatic needle threader – A feature modern machines can’t be imagined without – no more squinting, no more wasted times, just start the mechanism and your needles will be threaded in no time.
- Heavy duty metal frame – Featuring a timeless Singer design and rock-solid metal frame Heavy Duty 4423 looks like a well put together a unit that can easily outlive its long warranty.
- One-step buttonhole – An easy to understand and even easier to operate the mechanism that ensure that all of your buttonholes will be sewn precisely and with consistent results.
- Singer Sewing Assistance App – A very nice addition that helps novices and experienced tailors alike to master the 4423s set of options in a streamlined and intuitive way. The list of covered topics includes sewing, instructions on how to select the stitches, threading the top of the machine, and much more (to learn more about the app follow this video below).
- Top drop-in bobbin – Another common feature that allows some very easy threading. Also, the transparent plastic cover allows you to always see just how much thread you have left at any given moment.
- Adjustable presser feet height and pressure – Offering the high level of customizability concerning the presser feet, Heavy Duty 4423 allows you to easily adjust the machine to the current material (e.g. tougher materials require stronger pressure, so the presser feet should be slightly raised).
- Stainless steel bed plate – Stainless steel is a very smooth material that ensures that any type of fabric, no matter how rough it may be, will glide smoothly over the machine’s arm.
The manufacturer’s official breakdown that describes the machine’s functions and setup can be found here.
The Pros and Cons of Singer Heavy Duty 4423
And now that we’ve gone through some of Heavy Duty 4423s strongest selling point, let us take a look at the quality of the performance they produce through always reliable and easy to understand set of advantages and disadvantages.
- Value for the money – Looking at the list of specs Heavy Duty 4423 packs under its hard as nails case, it’s hard to deny that Singer somehow managed to pack a tremendous amount of value in this very affordable package.
Solid build quality, stable performance, high speed, and a very powerful motor are all building blocks of an excellent entry-level machine.
Even better, the quality of the stitches may be a bit rough-around-the-edges and nowhere near the one we can see with some more expensive units, is actually pretty fine and way beyond this price range.
- A set of useful features – Although they are not essential for sewing, the novel upgrades lie drop-in bobbin system, adjustable presser feet, one-step, and especially automatic needle threader go above and beyond to make your experience as effortless as possible.
We also have to give the special shout out to the ability to adjust the dimensions of the stitches. Considering the fact that the machine features 23 built-in stitches (double the number of patterns we can find in the main rival 4411), which is, even by entry-level standards pretty poor, this additional level of customizability does an excellent job improving the unit’s usability.
- Ease of use – Finally, it should be mentioned that this utilitarian design, and if you like it nostalgic approach to design produced the machine that may be stripped of bells and, but very easy to use and even easier to master once you get the hang of it.
Even if you are an absolute novice, the smartphone app will do more than satisfying job guiding you through all sewing basics.
- Lack of advanced functions – With all things said it is very hard to escape the feeling that Singer Heavy Duty 4423 simply offers to few advanced functions to professional tailors. At least if they are going to use it as their primary unit.
On the other hand, the absolute beginners would largely benefit from computerized assistance of programmable functions. They are both sorely missing. Of course, this is not unexpected at this price point, but it is still something we need to point out to future customers.
- High level of noise – What happens when you put an overly powerful motor into the unit that is aimed primarily at money conscious buyer? The short answer is loud noise that sometimes goes all the way up to 71.4 decibels.
Seriously, when this bad boy starts plowing through the fabric, especially at the higher speeds, you better have some good noise-cancelling earbuds with you.
- Minor design flaws – Last but not least, it should be mentioned that a number of users have reported that their units malfunctioned straight out of the box. Still, this issue was quickly resolved with the manufacturer’s warranty.
- The weight – With its weight of 14.5 pounds (6.6 kilograms) Singer Heavy Duty 4423 is far from the lightest sewing machine on the market, but it’s still light enough to be portable.
That makes it an excellent choice for professional tailors that need to do a lot of interventions on-the-go but can’t bother to move their industrial-grade machines around.
- The pedal – The feeling of using the 4423s pedal is somewhat hard to put to words. It’s very touchy, but it at the same time allows a great level of control. This may pose a problem for absolute beginners, but as your skill grows, you can use this touchiness to your advantage.
To Sum It All Up
- Solid build quality
- High speed of 1,100 SPM
- Powerful motor that can tackle tougher materials
- A lot of small but life-saving extras
- Automatic needle threader
- The ability to customize the stitches
- Affordable price
- Reasonably portable
- The stitches could be more precise
- Very loud
- No computerized or programmable functions
As we mentioned before, this is the intermediate model. Meaning, you should not expect that extra stretch and countless decorative stitches. In order to get that, you will have to pay more and choose an advanced model. Also, keep in mind that the defective warranty is 90 days only. Make sure you test your machine during that period to check the endurance.
Singer 4423 is a manual model. Meaning, there is no automatic stop when you are making a buttonhole, which is one more disadvantage to the list of cons. However, with extra care, you can avoid balling up the thread. It is not perfect but you get a good deal for the price.
When hesitating, just think of the many benefits such as quality stitches for various types of fabrics, starting from light to heavy duty. Also, think about the simple operation. If you are a beginner, you will not experience difficulties with it. Still, it is also suitable for pros.
Where Can I Buy It? What is The Price?
If you made up your mind and you want to purchase this model, you can find it at your local sewing specialty market. However, you can also check on Amazon and purchase it online.
Only good words for Singer and their 4423 model. Although it has some disadvantages, the benefits you get overtop everything that is considered as negative about this model. It will allow you to sew heavy duty fabrics with ease and boost your sewing skills and creativity.
We recommend Singer 4423 because we concluded that it is a great deal for the price and offers quality performance. It is time that someone praises this under-estimated machine and seizes the opportunity. Will that someone be you? If so, we will be happy to hear about your experience with Singer 4423 and learn what you have to say about it from firsthand.
Singer Heavy Duty 4423 – The Final Thoughts
In the very end giving the final grade to Singer Heavy Duty is very hard – the machine does too many good things to be panned but also misses some important features that would grant it a much wider audience.
Either way, there is no doubt that 4423 offers powerful and reasonably precise performance (as far as the affordable heavy duty machines go). This fact alone already makes the machine a very solid purchase, especially if you need an auxiliary unit to cover some blind spots of your daily driver, or you are just starting your tailoring journey knowing that you’ll primarily focus on rough materials.
Looking at the things from this perspective, 4423 uses this already solid foundation to spice it up with some more than pleasant extras that make this machine a far more appealing product. Not bad, and definitely worth your attention if you are into old-school analog sewing.