Versatile and Affordable
If you’re at least a bit interested in the sewing world, you probably already know of Brother – a brand well-known for their reliable and affordable products.
They make machines for both beginners and pros, and this machine is a combination of both. Loaded with great features and offering both sewing and embroidery capabilities it has almost limitless potential.
If you are interested in purchasing a Brother SE400 computerized combination sewing and embroidery machine, this article is for you.
- Bernina 740 Sewing Machine Review
- Bernina 750QE Embroidery Quilting and Sewing Machine Review
- Brother Dream Machine 2 Sewing and Embroidery Machine Review
- Bernina SE 880 Sewing Embroidery and Quilting Machine Review
- Bernina 215 Sewing Machine Review 2020
- Bernina Q24 Best Longarm Quilting Machine on the Market Review
- Babylock Jazz 2 Sewing and Quilting Machine Review
- Bernina Q20 Sit-Down Longarm Machine Review
Today, we will share everything you need to know about this model Brother SE400 review before you buy it. With no doubt, it is a model with a great reputation produced by a trusted brand on the market.
However, just like every other sewing machine, this too has its benefits and disadvantages you might be interested in learning about, especially if you are a beginner without previous experience in buying a sewing machine. For starters, let’s learn something about the brand.
Am I Buying From A Trusted Brand? Why Choose This Model?
Yes, if you purchase this model, be sure that you are buying from a trusted, popular brand on the market. The company started in 1908 and developed into one of the most successful sewing companies in the history of sewing machines. They transitioned and developed from the traditional models to modern garment printers and took over the sewing world rapidly.
Not only they have one of the best sewing models on the market but also gain respect and popularity all over the world. If you do independent research, you will see that Brother can be found in every continent around the world, except for Antarctica which is impressive.
Even though they are one of the most popular brands with a well-deserved reputation, they still offer high-quality products along with affordable prices and incomparable design and appearance. And Brother SE400 is one of them. An affordable model with unique features.
If you wonder what makes this model so special and why pick Brother SE400 among others, we have a few interesting pieces of information that will end your hesitation and make you buy this workhorse today. For starters, it is a good deal for the price that you are paying.
Next, it offers impressive features which most of the other models at the same price, do not. It provides a great sewing experience thanks to the different styles of stitches and 165 different formats. Also, it is portable and lightweight and weights about 10.9 pounds.
It comes with 5 fonts for lettering, 70 different types of built-in embroidery designs and so much more. However, before we reveal all the great features, let’s answer this question:
What Should I Pay Attention to When Buying a Brother SE400?
Just like any other sewing machine on the market, this too has benefits and disadvantages. However, what is a disadvantage to some, might be seen as a benefit for others. So, if you are interested in learning more about this model and what it has to offer, keep on reading.
One of the biggest disadvantages of Brother SE400 is the stitch selection. It requires an infinite scroll, as many customers say. Also, some customers complain about the height of the LCD screen. Others say that the inclusion of the stylus pen is not of big use. And the LCD touchscreen is not colored but black and white, which is also seen as a disadvantage.
Brother SE400 offers 67 built-in stitches. However, you can only choose 6 items at once. If you want to get the last item, you will have to scroll down a lot. It is the same with the embroidery designs. Last but not least is the fact that you need to clean the bobbin case on a regular basis because of the built-in sensors. Otherwise, it might indicate a problem.
The Brother SE400 Sewing and Embroidery Machine at a Glance
Here’s a quick look at some basic info about the Brother SE400 sewing and Embroidery machine, organized into a handy chart.
|Name||Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine|
|Dimensions||20.3 x 15 x 15.2 inches|
|Work Area Size||4 by 4 inches|
|Controls||LCD touch screen|
|Number of Sewing Feet||8|
|The Largest Pros||Highly versatile with a lot of option to choose from and computer connectivity|
|The Largest Cons||Can’t work with thicker fabric and it tends to waste thread|
The Key Features of the Brother SE400
This sewing and embroidery machine is simply loaded with features – which can be overwhelming at times.
I’m gonna go through them one by one, explain what they, how they work and tell you how good or bad they are.
- Sewing speed of 840 stitches per minute – This is an outstanding sewing speed that’s going to help you finish your work in no time.
- 14 different built-in sewing stitches – These include utility, stretch, and 4-step buttonhole.
- 70 built-in embroidery designs to choose from – Besides the pre-built designs themselves, you also get a choice of 5 different embroidery fonts as well as 120 frame-pattern combos, allowing for endless customizability.
- Free arm design – With this machine you’ll always have one arm free, allowing you to do things you otherwise couldn’t.
- Computer connectivity – You get a USB cable with this machine allowing you to connect it with your computer. This is useful for importing your own designs to the machine where you can edit them further and make them a reality.
- One-touch automatic threading – The machine threads the needle for you without you needing to do anything. It doesn’t work 100% of the time, but it’s better than doing it by hand.
- Backlit touch screen LCD display – The touch screen is easy to control and see at all times, and lots of different options fit into it. Some options might be hidden behind a few menus and aren’t available at the drop of a hat, but this allows for more to be included than usual.
- Built-in tutorial – In the menus of the touch screen display, you can also find handy tutorials for anything you might want to do with this machine. It’s useful and detailed, but it means that some controls are not available to you while you’re looking at the tutorial.
- LED lighting – The work area has its own light, allowing you to get a better look at what you’re working with if the ambient lighting is not sufficient.
- Quick-change sewing feet – You get 8 options in total, including zipper, overcasting, zigzag, buttonhole, button fitting, embroidery, blind stitching and free-motion monogramming.
There are other, minute features as well but I’ll mention them later as needed.
The Pros and Cons of the Brother SE400 Sewing Machine
Here, I’ll go over some of my thoughts on what’s good and what’s bad about the machine, as well as a few things that I have some mixed feelings on. That should give you a good idea whether this sewing machine is for you or not.
- Versatility - One of the best points of this machine. The fact that it’s a computerized sewing machine allows it to always stay up-to-date and you can use any design you want with it.
The machine has some editing functionality too, so you can adjust the designs inside it. You can even save the designs in it!
The machine is also highly adjustable in other ways, allowing you to park the needle in the down or up positions and it comes with a wide variety of sewing feet.
- Ease of Use - Switching between all the different options is easy too, due to the LCD touch screen controls. Using it is easy, and it’s a great sewing machine for beginners as well as pros.
You also get a lot of good instructions with it, both in the machine and out of it, with video tutorials in the menus and on a CD you get with it.
The bright light for the work area is amazing, and lots of machines are made so that their parts cast a shadow on the work area – not a problem here.
If you want to take it with you on a trip, it’s easy to do since it’s a fairly lightweight and portable sewing machine as well.
It’s also got an accessory compartment built into it for all your additional tools.
- Affordability - To top it all off, the price is just amazing for what you get here, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better deal out there. You’re also covered by a 25-year warranty so you can feel secure when you’re buying it.
- Wasted Thread - The needle threading is inconsistent – sometimes it will work, sometimes it won’t. It’s good when it does work, but it’s quite bad when it doesn’t since it wastes a lot of thread.
Some parts near the bobbin can move and catch the thread which just creates a huge mess of knots, which wastes more thread. It’s particularly bad if you’re using expensive materials.
- Difficulties Sewing - Sewing through thick materials is also a bit difficult for this machine as I’ve noticed. You’ll also have trouble sewing through seams as well as other things. This is not a heavy-duty sewing machine.
Needles also tend to break rather often which can be a pain to replace and you might lose out on a lot of work.
- Not for Small Designs - Doing extremely small designs is also a bit difficult with this machine. If you want fine detail, this is probably not the machine that will be able to deliver on that.
- Medium-sized Work Area - The work area being 4 by 4 inches is good, but there are larger ones. If you’ve only done small work, it might also take some adjusting too.
- The Control Screen - The controls are fairly good since they’re extensive but they can be tedious to scroll through and you sometimes need to go through more than 10 screens to get what you want.
The touch screen also could have been colored instead of black and white since that would make it easier to choose, but some might find that black and white works better for them.
To Sum it All Up…
- Large collection of stitches
- Embroidery card slot
- USB support for downloading designs
- Computer connectivity
- All-in-one sewing and embroidery machine
- Slider for speed control
- Portable, durable and versatile
- Affordable and easy to use
- Trusted brand on the market
- Black and white instead of colored LCD screen touch
- Non-adjustable presser’s pressure and infinite scroll of stitch selection
- 120 V machine for Canadian and USA use only (biggest disadvantage)
- Although it has 67 built-in stitches, you can only pick 6 items at once
- Also, if you want the last item, you should scroll down for 12 pages
- Same applies for the embroidery designs
- Cleaning on a regular basis because of the built-in sensors
As you can notice, the benefits overshadow the disadvantages. If you purchase this model, it will make your sewing dreams come true and take your sewing skills to the next level. Do not worry about performance because it is easy to use, especially the bobbin preparation.
If you are a beginner, you might not know this, but placing a bobbin represents one of the hardest parts of sewing just like winding a bobbin. It is difficult to loop the thread around a bobbin repeatedly. That is not all. Trying to angle said bobbin into the slot is hard too.
Luckily, this model simplifies these tasks with the automatic bobbin threader. It will wind the bobbin with thread for you. And once you do this, just put it into the quick-set drop-in bobbin system and start your embroidering/sewing. It is that simple. Interested in buying?
If this did not convince you to purchase this model, the fact that this model will take care of your eyes might. As mentioned before, it has automatic needle threader and impressive lighting, so you do not have to thread the needle and force your eyes to see while doing it.
Instead of focusing on the needle and brightness, you can focus on your projects with the Brother SE400. Also, computer connectivity is a huge plus, as well as the LCD touchscreen.
It allows you to import your personal designs from iBroadery.com into your machine. If you want to explore and experiment with different items, the possibilities are endless. Smooth and quality stitching is also offered by the Brother SE400 sewing and embroidery machine.
Imagine working on something and keeping everything in order when all the sudden, it slips away and ruins your motivation. If you are a professional, you have probably experienced it before. However, this will all be forgotten once you start working with the Brother SE400.
It arrives with seven-point feed dogs which allow your fabric to stand still while working. It helps you guide the material under the needle and helps you maintain steadier line work.
In general, this model offers simple sewing. No tangling, no jamming. Still, let’s not forget the few negativities. The small hoop size is one of them. If you want to finish larger, more complex projects and designs, you might need to add an additional hoop. Also, you will need to buy other additional accessories such as bobbins, thread, a heat bond, and similar parts.
If you want to begin with embroidery, keep in mind that you must buy software and pay for designs as well. If you want something that will satisfy all your requirements, think about buying an all-in-one machine, since the Brother SE400 might not be the best option for you.
How Much Will I Spend on This Model?
Although it is not perfect and has minor flaws, it is still considered as one of the best, if not the best sewing and embroidery machine on the market at the moment. So, if the flaws do not concern you, do not hesitate to buy this workhorse. It can be found in homeware or craft shops. However, you can also check out Amazon and purchase it online. Expect to pay around $300 for this model. It might be pricey. However, quality comes at a higher price.
So, if you want something that will satisfy almost your every sewing and embroidery need, this is the perfect choice for you. We suggest that you buy it before it goes out of stock.
Also, do not rely on our words and this review only. Make your own independent research and decide whether this is your jam or not. If yes, we cannot wait to hear your comments and read your personal review. Feel free to check the current price on Amazon right now.
How About The Warranty?
If you purchase the Brother SE400 model, you get a 25-year warranty which is impressive, since other brands offer a limited warranty. It will not only cover the machine but also the light bulbs, needles, and other similar accessories. However, it does not refer to the parts that should be replaced from time to time like a bobbin case, needle plate or some others.
Your machine is insured for the next year after the date of purchase. The printed circuit boards are covered for the next five years after the date of purchase, while the chassis unit is guaranteed for 25 years. However, the company will decide if they want to replace or repair your machine. Now, let’s summarize the pros/cons before we jump into conclusion.
If you decided to buy this model, we congratulate you. It is definitely worth the price and will serve you for a very long time. It is one of the best combo computerized embroidery and sewing machine. However, if you want it to function perfectly, we suggest proper care and maintenance on a regular interval. It is suitable for both beginners and professionals.
However, keep in mind that you are dealing with an advanced combination machine and you might face some difficulties with the controls since there is a lot of them. Overall, it is a great pick for the price you pay. It is ideal for experimenting with embroidery and sewing.
Still, keep in mind that you will have to purchase some extra accessories, as we mentioned. Besides that, you are making a great deal if you decide to invite this highly-recommended sewing machine to your home or work space. It will definitely boost your creativity and get your creative juices flowing. One of the best combo machines on the market for a reason.
Feel free to share this article with the people you love, in case someone is looking for their next sewing machine. Do not forget to follow our social media pages for the latest reviews.