Sewing is one of the best ways to express your creativity and learn something you can use every day. In order to learn how to sew like a pro and boost your skills to the next level, you will need a sewing book.
The perfect sewing book will not only help you learn but also teach you some advanced techniques that you can find useful in the future. A sewing book is supposed to increase the skills of users from different levels. Today, I will review the best sewing books for this year and help you choose the right one for you.
- What is the Best Sewing Book?
- What is the Best Sewing Book for Beginners?
- Quick Answer: Best Sewing Books for Beginners & Professionals 2020
- A Sewist’s Guide to Troubleshooting, Maintenance, Tips & Techniques
- Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
- The Complete Serger Handbook
- The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible: Get the Most Out of Your Machine
- The Sewing Book: Over 300 Step-by-Step Techniques
- First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner's Guide
- All-in-One Quilter’s Reference Tool
- New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making Clothes and Home Accessories
- Simple Quilts from Me and My Sister Designs
- Sew Me! Sewing Basics: Simple Techniques and Projects for First-Time Sewers
- Singer: The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing
- The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
- WALK: Master Machine Quilting with your Walking Foot
- Lessons in Machine Sewing, 20 Projects Kids Will Love to Make
- Pattern Fitting With Confidence
- Tilly and the Buttons: Stretch!: Make Yourself Comfortable Sewing with Knit Fabrics
- Couture Sewing Techniques
- Beginner's Guide To Dress & Skirt Making With Sewing Machine
- Sewing to Sell - The Beginner's Guide to Starting a Craft Business
- The Sewing Bible for Clothes Alterations
- How to Use, Adapt, and Design Sewing Patterns
- School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together
- One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects
- Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book
- Vogue Sewing Book
- Bridal Couture: Fine Sewing Techniques for Wedding Gowns and Evening Wear
- Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide
- Couture Sewing Techniques
- Fitting and Pattern Alteration: A Multi-Method Approach
- Patternmaking for Fashion Design
- An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design • Techniques, Tips, and Tricks
- The Sewing Machine Embroiderer's Bible
- Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing
- The Art of Manipulating Fabric
- The Complete Guide to Serging and Decorative Stitching
- The Costume Making Guide: Creating Armor and Props for Cosplay
- Free-Motion Meandering: A Beginners Guide to Machine Quilting
- Ruler work Quilting Idea Book
- Joyful Stitching: Transform Fabric with Improvisational Embroidery
- Jelly Filled―18 Quilts from 2 1/2'' Strips: All Skill Levels
- What do You Need as a Beginner Sewer?
What is the Best Sewing Book?
Buying the best sewing book for you depends on your skill level, expertise, and sewing needs. However, before choosing any sewing book out there these are the most important features you need to consider.
Usually, sewing books come with an accurate title on what the content is about, so pay attention to this in order to pick the best sewing book for you. The title can paint a picture of what the book is all about.
- Top 10 Best Mid Arm Quilting Machine Reviews 2020
- Top 12 Best Sewing Machine Under $100 Reviews 2020
- 17 Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers 2020
- Top 30 Best Long Arm Quilting Machine Reviews 2020
- 20 Best Mini Sewing Machine Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Best Sewing Machine For Denim Reviews 2020 - You Need To Read Before You Buy
- Top 30 Best Portable Sewing Machine Reviews 2020
- Top 12 Best Coverstitch Machines Reviews 2020
The content is the most important feature you need to consider, especially if you are looking for a guide and instructions on a specific project. Please, research the index of the book before your final purchase.
Every book is written with a target audience in mind like children, teens, advanced users, intermediate or new beginners. Choose a sewing book which targets you. You can usually determine this by the title.
Language and reference images
The language is one of the most important features you need to consider. Make sure that the book you buy is written in simple language that is easily understandable. And make sure that the images are clear, have instructions and match the steps. It is important that you understand the represented images too.
Number of projects
The best books contain different projects with detailed, precise instructions. Also, make sure that they are not that hard to realize. Otherwise, you could use interest in the sewing book and craft, in general.
What is the Best Sewing Book for Beginners?
Sewing books can teach you a lot about the pros and cons of sewing. You can learn not only by analyzing the photos but also by reading detailed instructions. You can play videos and learn from different online tutorials you find online. However, they do not deliver written, detailed instructions as sewing books do.
Also, you can refer to your written sewing guide whenever you want and need without needing internet. If you have just purchased your first sewing unit and cannot wait to begin sewing, buying a sewing book is a smart thing to do. The best sewing book for beginners is informative and can be used by experts too.
Quick Answer: Best Sewing Books for Beginners & Professionals 2020
In order to help you choose the best sewing book for you, I have listed a few of the best-selling books in the market. Each one is focused on different aspects of sewing and different users. Meaning, you need to determine what sewing book you need and buy the one that meets your level skills and sewing needs.
- Best Overall: The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible: Get the Most Out of Your Machine
“One of the best sewing books for newbies and pros that contains different techniques and projects.”
- Best Runner Up: The Sewing Book: Over 300 Step-by-Step Techniques
“Over 300 techniques on sewing clothes and home décor with close-up photos and clear instructions.”
- Best Sewing Book for Beginners: First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner's Guide
“It includes both straightforward and complex projects, hand-sewing and machines-sewing techniques.”
- Best Sewing Book for Advanced Sewers: The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
“The ultimate sewing guide with over hundreds of large color images and solutions to common issues.”
- Best Sewing Book for Dressmakers: Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book
“The best sewing book for passionate dressmakers that allows you to mix and match pattern elements.”
- Best Sewing Book for Children: Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
“21 sewing projects for kids that do not require parents’ assistance, illustrated instructions, easy to use.”
- Best Budget: One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects
“A detailed sewing guide with 101 modern sewing projects that will increase your productivity, cheap.”
A Sewist’s Guide to Troubleshooting, Maintenance, Tips & Techniques
First on my list of best sewing books is ‘A Sewist’s Guide to Troubleshooting, Maintainance, Tips and Techniques’ written by Bernie Tobisch. He was a sewing machine technician back in 1970 and became a dealer 10 years later. His book is supposed to teach you all the sewing techniques you need to know.
Also, it represents a visual guide on how a sewing machine is made and how it works. I always say that maintenance is key to a long-lasting sewing unit. Tobisch will teach you how to maintain your sewing machine properly and how to fix possible issues you might encounter on your adventures in the future.
Today, Tobisch lives in Vancouver, Canada with his wife Shelley and continues his career as a machine technician. His guide is ideal for sewists and quilters of different levels because it has a friendly approach to learning about sewing machines. If you want stress-free sewing, this is the guide you need to follow.
- Clear maintenance instructions
- A visual guide on how a sewing machine is made
- Ideal for sewers and quilters of any level
- It contains all the sewing techniques
- It teaches how to fix your machine
- No method to time the needle and hook
Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
Next, I want to review ‘Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make’. As you can notice by the title of this book, it is written for children. However, beginners could find it useful too. If you want to awaken their creativity and teach them skills that will serve them for life, this is the sewing book for you.
I am talking about an inspiring guide with 21 sewing projects for kids at the age of 5 and up. It is nothing too hard that your kid will not be able to learn. On the contrary, it is easy to use thanks to the illustrated instructions. Your kid will be able to sew dolls, blankets, pillows and more thanks to this incredible book.
This book is written by a kindergarten teacher and a journalist who spent years teaching children how to sew using easy techniques. This book will teach your kids everything about threading a needle, knotting the thread and making a basic running stitch. Your child will be able to sew without your help in no time.
- The best children’ sewing books
- 21 sewing projects for kids at the age of 5 and up
- It does not require parents’ assistance
- It teaches different sewing basics
- Illustrated instructions
- No materials included
- Not the most informative book
- Very basic sewing book
The Complete Serger Handbook
The Complete Serger Handbook is the most comprehensive reference on serging to date. Written by an expert teacher, this book will teach you everything you need to know about serger machines, from start to finish. It is ideal for both beginners and experienced sewers looking for a way to boost their creations.
According to the countless positive reviews at Amazon, this book is not just a reference. It is also a guide and inspiration for people who are passionate about the craft. The author of this book, Chris James has a lot of experience and will answer your questions about threads, stitches, tension, techniques and so on.
You will learn all there is to know about rolling hems, knits, flat locking, fixing issues, and controls. If you want to learn everything you could possibly know about sewing, do not hesitate to order this handbook.
- Best book for learning serging
- Very helpful, especially for a beginner
- It answers all your sewing questions
- Lacks structure and focus
- Not the best choice for pros
- Not enough information
The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible: Get the Most Out of Your Machine
Sewers, embrace yourself because I am about to present you ‘The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible: Get the Most Out of Your Machine’. It is the ultimate guide on how to operate a sewing machine written for beginners and advanced sewers searching for a way to increase their productivity or improve their skills.
No matter if you want to learn about changing the feet, choosing the right fabric, working with a serger or how to save time while sewing, this book has your back. You will learn everything you need to know about any feet, zigzag foot, specialty fabric, and technique feet, needles, threads, fabrics, and machines.
This book will encourage you to take risks and experiment with your sewing, try various techniques or add decorative effects by following the author’s ideas. It is called ‘The Sewing Bible’ for a reason. That is teaching you everything you need to know in order to sew like a pro and get out of your comfort zone.
- One of the latest sewing books for beginners
- It contains all you need to know about sewing units
- Different techniques and adding decorations
- Not the best choice for basic beginners
- Confusing for those who want to learn fast
- Many basic feet that are not mentioned
The Sewing Book: Over 300 Step-by-Step Techniques
(Best Runner Up)
Next, I have ‘The Sewing Book: Over 300 Step-by-Step Techniques’ that will help you sew like a pro. The title of this book says it all. You will learn over 300 techniques that will teach you how to sew clothes or home décor. You will get 10 new stylish projects and the latest information on 100 tools and 50 fabrics.
This book will teach you the basic sewing terms and take your skills to a new level. No matter if you are interested in sewing clothes for adults or children, make home décor or do alterations, this impressive sewing guide will help you master every hand-sewing and machine-sewing technique there is out there.
From ticks, darts and pleats to fasteners, hems, and mending, you will learn everything in record time thanks to the clear instructions and close-up photographs. Buying this sewing guide will teach you over 100 supplies, 50 fabrics and 250 sewing techniques which if you ask me, is a great bargain for the price.
- One of the best hand sewing books
- One of the best sewing books for children’s clothes
- Over 300 techniques on sewing clothes and home décor
- Clear instructions and close-up photographs
- Knitted fabrics are not included in the book
- Not the most informative sewing guide out there
- Not the best choice for intermediate sewers
First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner's Guide
(Best Sewing Book for Beginners)
Beginners, I am about to present the best sewing book for enthusiastic newbies or DIY crafters. It is the ‘First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide’. Unlike other guides, this one is simple and will teach you everything you need to know about the craft in record time. It will be like having a personal teacher.
No matter if you want to learn how to sew by hand or use a sewing machine, this book has your back. It is filled with detailed descriptions of tools and materials and provides easy-to-follow instructions on any sewing technique you can think of. You will learn how to make pillows, aprons, and pants in record time.
Besides that, you will learn how to create rectangular table cloth, zipper closures, baby blankets, knife-edge pillows, elastic waist skirts and pants, t-shirts, apron with pockets, unlined jackets and much more. Order this book right now and learn how to complete basic or complex sewing projects with confidence.
- One of the best sewing books for newbies
- It teaches how to complete both basic and complex projects
- It teaches both hand-sewing and machine-sewing techniques
- Not the best choice for an absolute beginner
All-in-One Quilter’s Reference Tool
Are you a passionate quilter looking for a reference tool that will boost your quilting and improve your skills? How about ‘All-in-One Quilter’s Reference Tool’ packed with almost any information you will need to make the perfect quilt? It starts with a “quick start guide” in a Q&A format for better understanding.
If you ever wondered how to sew a curved seam or where should the grainline be, this book will answer these questions for you and more. It contains some of the best cutting tips, piecing tutorials and designs. Seasoned quilters, on the other hand, will learn how many hexagons can be cut from a yard of material.
It is divided into color-coded chapters representing comprehensive charts and diagrams. Looking for the best quilting book? Congrats because you just found it. This guide will teach you everything you need to know about quilting, from choosing the right type of fabric to finishing the binding and extra techniques.
- Clear instructions
- A must-have for serious quilters
- Informative quilting guide
- Color-coded chapters
- Good packing
- Not the best choice for beginners
New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making Clothes and Home Accessories
The ultimate stitch and seam reference book has just entered the chat. I am about to review the ‘New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making Clothes and Home Accessories’. All you need to know about this book is already said in the title. You will learn new improved sewing practices.
No matter if you are a beginner or an experienced sewer, you will find this book super useful. If you are interested in learning how to create your own unique creations, this is the book you need to buy. Highly-recommended by sewers, this book will take your skills to the next level and increase your productivity.
It is clear and contains many diagrams and pictures you might find useful. Unlike other sewing guides, it has large font text and covers all the foundations and basics of sewing. Just browsing through this book, you will learn a lot. This timeless sewing book should not be missed, so do not hesitate to order it now.
- Timeless sewing book
- One of the best sewing books for beginners
- The ultimate stitch and seam book
- New improved sewing practices
- Increases productivity
- Difficult to understand for absolute beginners
Simple Quilts from Me and My Sister Designs
Another book that I want to review for you today is ‘Simple Quilts for Me and My Sister Designs’. It is a book with a strange name. However, once you open the first page, you will realize that it is filled with a lot of useful information. These sisters are known for their exciting use of color in quick and easy quilts.
In this guide, they present a value-packed collection of projects every quilter should know. Pick one of the 12 surprisingly simple quilts and recharge your creative batteries. This book will not teach you skill-building projects that go from strips and squares to designs with stitch-and-flip cornets and much more.
- 12 surprisingly simple quilts
- Filled with a lot of useful information
- Value-packed collection of projects
- Way overpriced
- Not for absolute beginners
- No directions for finishing
Sew Me! Sewing Basics: Simple Techniques and Projects for First-Time Sewers
‘Sew Me! Sewing Basics: Simple Techniques and Projects for First-Time Sewers’ will help you discover a new amazing world of sewing. It contains 15 super simple and straightforward projects that do not take a lot of time and effort to learn. If you want a friendly, easy-to-use guideline to sewing, this is the one.
Not only it will boost your skills and help you sew with confidence but it will also teach you how to make repairs and start a project from scratch. If you are a beginner, you will absolutely adore this sewing book and learn so much from it. Have you ever wondered how installing zippers and seams are completed?
If yes, this guide will teach you all of that, including cutting patterns, gathering fabric and binging edges. After finishing this book, you will know how to make hats, scarves, plushies, pincushions, placemats and more. If you want to learn how to sew from scratch in record time, this is the book you need right now.
- Ideal for absolute beginners
- 15 super simple and straightforward projects
- One of the best, easy sewing books
- Project blow over details
- Not the best instructions
Singer: The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing
If you are looking for a complete photo guide to sewing, look no further than Singer sewing guide. It has all the necessary things you need to learn how to sew through updated techniques and photography. Its 312 hard-working pages and 1,200 precisely shot photographs that cover every aspect of décor sewing.
However, this is not all that this sewing book has to offer. It will also teach you how to pick the perfect tools and notions, how to use a sewing machine and sergers and how to bring your sewing and tailoring to perfection. If you want to complete home décor masterpieces, the sewing book by SINGER is for you.
No matter if you are a beginner or an experienced user, you will find this guide very useful. It will teach you how to make tablecloths, pillows, window treatments and so on. Order this sewing guide and make the most of your sewing machine. Buying this book will ensure a safe, easy and exciting sewing venture.
- Ideal for beginners
- One of the best sewing machine books
- Covers every aspect of décor sewing
- 1,200 precisely shot photos
- 312 hard-working pages
- Not for fashion-minded
- Not for absolute beginners
- Not very informative
The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
(Best Sewing Book for Advanced Sewers)
Another photo guide that you will find useful is ‘The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting’. It is the ultimate sewing book for transferring accurate adjustments to patterns & fitting test garments. Learning how to sew could not be easier thanks to this book that focuses on the way a test garment fits the body.
This guide will help you create patterns that fit just perfectly. Also, you will learn how to recognize fitting issues, such as folds and draglines, how to manipulate fabric in order to fix unusual and common issues. It will also teach you the importance of a fitting axis and how to use it during a fitting and so much more.
If you order this guide, you will get hundreds of large color images that illustrate the concepts and ways in simple step-by-step instructions. Also, you will learn the fitting process from beginning to end on easy basic garments, fitted on actual people. If you want to get the best fit for anybody, buy this sewing book.
- The ultimate sewing guide
- It shows you how to create perfect patterns
- It shows you how to fix unusual and common issues
- It teaches you the importance of a fitting axis
- It delivers hundreds of large color images
- For advanced sewers only
- No information on men’s clothing
- Not the best choice for newbies
WALK: Master Machine Quilting with your Walking Foot
If you are not into free motion, you might consider “forward motion” quilting with a walking foot? If you are interested in learning about this technique, order ‘WALK: Master Machine Quilting with your walking foot’. It will guide you through the basic quilting notions that will teach you how to quilt with great ease.
You will learn how to prepare, mark the quilt or prevent puckers while working. However, you will also learn how to complete large projects. This book contains over 40 walking foot user-friendly designs such as channel quilting, matchstick quilting and quilting with decorative stitches. Get your copy immediately.
- It teaches you how to quilt with ease
- You will learn how to prepare and mark the quilt
- You will learn how to handle large projects
- It contains over 40 walking foot designs
- Ideal for beginners and advanced users
Lessons in Machine Sewing, 20 Projects Kids Will Love to Make
(One of the Best Sewing Books for Young Adults)
If you are looking for a sewing book for children, look no further than ‘Lessons in Machine Sewing, 20 Projects Kids Will Love to Make’. It is written for children who have mastered hand sewing to boost their machine sewing and awaken their creativity. This sewing book takes your sewing skills to the next level.
As said in the title, it contains 20 creative sewing projects made for kids at the age of 7 and up including fabric pencil cases, wall pockets, fabric guitar, and purses. Your child will no longer need your assistance in making unique creations because this book delivers detailed step-by-step instructions on how to sew.
Youngest sewers can learn how to thread a sewing machine, choose the right fabric and patterns, pick a stitch and create something original. Allow your child to explore its creativity by exploring new projects.
- No parents’ assistance needed
- It teaches kids how to thread a machine
- It teaches kids how to choose the right fabric
- It teaches kids how to create original pieces
- One of the best sewing books for children
- 20 easy sewing projects made for kids
- Not visually pleasing
- Instructions and language too mature for average 9-year-old
- The packaging is not secure and causes some bending to book
Pattern Fitting With Confidence
‘Pattern fitting with confidence’ is a guide by Nancy Zieman is easy to read and even easier to use. No slashing, pinching, tucking or cutting. This book provides logical and easy pivot-and-slide techniques just to deliver a stress-free method that results in clothing that is both attractive and comfortable to wear.
If you purchase this guide, you will no longer have to worry about making every piece of clothing fit your shape and size. It contains fitting charts and an index for detecting information easily. However, just like any other sewing book, sewers had some negative comments to say about this one, so let’s check them.
- Easy to read and even easier to use
- It contains fitting charts and an index for chapters
- Logical, easy pivot-and-slide techniques
- Not very informative on pants alterations
- The system only works for minor adjustments
- The examples lack clarity and consistency
‘Tilly and the Buttons: Stretch! Make Yourself Comfortable Sewing with Knit Fabrics’ is the perfect proof that easy-to-wear garment pieces of clothing can also be stylish. It delivers a combination of outfits that combine Tilly Walnes’ signature look and the comfort of stretch fabrics that will blow you away for sure.
No matter if you are a beginner or an accomplished sewer, you will find this guide useful. It represents many techniques that will help you sew stretchy fabric on a normal sewing machine without needing a nice overlocker. It is focused on dressmakers who know the basics and want to boost their sewing skills.
This book is structured around 6 made-to-measure, speedy-to-sew projects. It delivers friendly step-by-step instructions with photographs and many tips and tricks on how to make your sewing a lot easier. If you want to gain ideas from a professional and learn how to customize your items, this book is for you.
- Ideal for both beginners and advanced users
- It helps you sew stretchy fabric without an overlocker
- It has a combination of stretchy, stylish outfits
- Missing two of the patterns
Couture Sewing Techniques
The magical heaven of haute couture is a spot where only a few privileged ones can survive, right? Not any more thanks to the ‘Couture Sewing Techniques’ written by the fashion historian, Claire B. Shaeffer who opened the gates to this realm in her ultimate guide. It has techniques that define couture sewing.
This book contains updated photos and chapters on specialty fabrics. If you buy it, you will never regret your purchase because no one can explain couture garment construction as Shaeffer can. She will teach you how to sew by hand, how to finish the edges, and how to shape clothing for the ideal fit super easy.
As a beginner, you will learn how to apply the techniques on sleeves, skirts, jackets, pockets or evening gowns. However, advanced users can find concise language, clear illustrations and beautiful clear photos useful too. Ordering this guide is like investing in yourself and allowing your skills to improve & blossom.
- One of the best sewing books by hand
- The ultimate couture guide for beginners
- It contains new photos and chapters on specialty fabrics
- It teaches you how to sew by hand, finis edges and more
- Clear instructions, concise language, and nice photos
- It boosts your sewing and awakens your creativity
- Small pictures
- It takes too much effort to read
- Very few illustrations associated with the construction of design techniques
- Illustrations are not numbered based on what step they represent
- Not much visual support
Beginner's Guide To Dress & Skirt Making With Sewing Machine
‘Beginner’s Guide to Dress & Skirt Making with a sewing machine’ is a step-by-step illustrated guide. It was written by an experienced dressmaker who has been making dresses for the last 2 decades. Also, she has taught dressmaking in various settings for the last 10 years. Now, you can learn her tips & tricks.
Her guide is ideal for beginners with no experience. She will teach you how to sew from start to end. All you need to do is follow her steps and watch the photos in her book and you will sew like a pro in record time. Who can you trust to teach you how to sew, if not a dressmaker with twenty years of experience?
You will learn everything you need to know about seams and stitches and how to use a sewing machine. You will also find out how to apply your new skills into real life, how to cut a garment and how to sew it properly. This book contains over 120 illustrations that will encourage you to explore your creative side.
- Step-by-step illustrated guide
- Written by an experienced sewer
- Ideal for absolute beginners
- All the photos and black & white and darkened
- Not the most informative sewing guide out there
Sewing to Sell - The Beginner's Guide to Starting a Craft Business
If sewing is your passion, you will absolutely love this book called ‘Sewing to Sell – The Beginner’s Guide to Starting a Craft Business’. Have you finally decided that sewing should be your full-time job instead of just a hobby? If you want to use your talents to earn a living, this is the book you need to buy right now.
It will help you turn your passion into a successful home-based business in no time. Everything you need to know about the sewing business is in this book, starting from finding your personal style to producing a product line, targeting your customers, landscaping your sewing table, pricing, marketing, and selling.
Ordering this book will not only help you start a business but also help you design your unique patterns and handle the legal and business side of this craft. You will also receive 16 customer-tested projects to begin sewing and selling your masterpieces ASAP. Now let’s review the main pros and cons of this book.
- Ideal for starting a home-based business
- It contains all the necessary info on how to start a business
- 16 customer-tested projects to start sewing
- Way overpriced
- Not super helpful
- Misleading title
The Sewing Bible for Clothes Alterations
‘The Sewing Bible for Clothes Alterations’ represents a detailed gainful guide on how to sew. If you order this book, you will learn basic sewing skills that will help you alter your own clothes. Some of the notions you will learn include basic (shortening trousers) & complex techniques (shortening sleeves on a jacket).
This ultimate guide is called “the sewing bible” for a reason. It comes with 400 illustrations to provide an easy and clear outline of what you need to do in order to finish a certain project. The book is divided up into intro, how to use it, what you will need, all you need to know about jeans, trousers, dresses, skirts, grows, jackets, different types of seams, imperial and metric, and learning various sewing tips and tricks.
- Sewing tips and tricks
- Detailed, gainful sewing guide
- It teaches you basic sewing skills
- Complex and basic techniques
- It has 400 illustrations
- Not the best choice for beginners
How to Use, Adapt, and Design Sewing Patterns
Next, I have a book about how to use, adapt and design sewing patterns. If you are into making your own patterns, I highly recommend this book for you. It will teach you how to improve on store-bought sewing patterns by aligning the garment’s length and different details in order to add a personal touch.
It starts with an illustrated guide on the fabrics, equipment, and tools you need to make clothes. You can use it as a mini textbook to study basic sewing techniques. If you want a detailed sewing guide with over 500 illustrations on how to customize or create your own sewing patterns, this is the right guide for you.
- One of the best pattern making books
- It starts with an illustrated guide on fabrics, tools, and equipment
- Over 500 illustrations on how to customize patterns
- Not the best choice for advanced sewers
School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together
‘School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together’ is one of the best sewing books with 12 projects for beginners. It allows you to follow the steps of other beginners who shared one goal and that goal was to learn how to use a sewing machine. If you want the ultimate beginner’s guide on sewing, this is the one.
It is engaging and easy to read. If you have friends who are also into the craft, invite them over to study together. It is the ideal sewing guide for friends to learn together. You will learn machine types, how to choose the right unit, fabric types, color theory, sewing tools, how to take care of your device and more.
However, that is not all you will learn. This guide provides instructions on how to sew a curve, machine quilting, advanced finishing techniques, how to solve issues with your sewing machine, zippers, binding, ruffles, pleats, buttonholes, and much more. Make your sewing fun and exciting by ordering this guide.
- It turns sewing into a fun and enjoyable process
- Perfect for friends who want to learn sewing together
- It teaches machine types and how to choose the right one
- It teaches fabric types, sewing tools, and maintenance
- It has instructions on advanced sewing processes
- Inconsistent explanation techniques
One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects
‘One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects’ is a detailed sewing guide that will teach you all the things you can make with a single yard of fabric. Written by Patricia Hoskins and Rebecca Yaker, this guide provides 101 modern and stylish sewing projects that use only one yard of fabric to make clothes and accessories.
It is ideal for beginners because it delivers a step-by-step guide with pattern pieces and templates. Each project made to be finished in a couple of hours. Boost your creativity and productivity by turning a yard of fabric into something amazing. Take your sewing to the next level by designing original masterpieces.
- A detailed sewing guide
- 101 modern sewing projects
- It increases productivity
- Not the best instructions
- A little difficult to follow
- Not for advanced users
Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book
(Best Sewing Book for Dressmakers)
Are you a passionate dressmaker? If yes, I have a book for you that you will absolutely adore. It is called ‘Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book’ and contains patterns for 23 dresses for various occasions. However, this is not all you will get if you order this best-selling book. You will also learn every dressmaking technique.
If you want a book packed with all the necessary information about dressmaking and patterns included, this is the right choice for you. Every vintage-obsessed dressmaker and sewist should own this incredible book. You can mix and match elements of each pattern and add a personal touch to your new creations.
- Ideal for passionate dressmakers
- One of the best sewing books with patterns
- You can mix and match elements
- The patterns are very off in size
- Not the best choice for beginners
Vogue Sewing Book
I personally recommend this guide because it is the best-selling book on sewing. No matter if you are a beginner or an experienced sewer, you will absolutely adore this book. And how can you not when it is from Vogue, one of the most respected names in needlework. It is favorite among experienced sewers.
However, newbies can find it useful too. It comes with all the latest information, updated photos and illustrations, page layout and introduction. You can learn how to pick a sewing machine, master couture techniques and make professional and fashionable pieces of clothing. It is the ultimate guide for sewers.
It delivers easy-to-use instructions for selecting notions, fabric, understanding pattern markings, hand-stitching, mending, pressing, measuring and much more. No other guide has detailed explanations and charts like Vogue’s. If you want to sew like a pro, this is the right sewing guide you need to order today.
- Ideal for beginners and experts
- Written by a respected name in needlework
- Detailed explanations and charts
- Not for absolute beginners
- Instructions are difficult to follow
- Illustrations are confusing
Bridal Couture: Fine Sewing Techniques for Wedding Gowns and Evening Wear
‘Bridal Couture: Fine Sewing Techniques for Wedding Gowns and Evening Wear’ is the book you need to buy if you want to learn wedding gown construction. It teaches you everything you need to know about advanced dressmaking with thorough text details. It also includes extensive details on manipulating lace.
You will also learn how to prepare the muslin mockup. This is the main first step to ensure a perfect fit, adjusting the bodice, sleeves, and skirt, and putting them together, as well as attaching ornamentation, handling bustles and trains. Also, you get a full chapter on how to create four gowns of different styles.
Practically, everything you need to know about wedding gowns and evening wear is presented here. If you are a beginner, you will not have any problem understanding the book because it is simple and easy to follow. Advanced sewers could find it super useful, especially those pursuing a dressmaking career.
- Ideal for learning wedding gown construction
- It teaches all you need to know about advanced dressmaking
- Ideal for advanced sewers who pursue a dressmaking career
- It includes extensive details on manipulating lace
- Advanced beginners could find it useful as well
- Way overpriced
Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide
If you are tired of looking for answers to your questions about sewing, I have the ideal sewing guide for you. It has all the answers associated with sewing and eliminates the need to search through different sewing guides for details. It is updated with the addition of 225 color images, fabric & fiber dictionary.
Written by Claire Shaeffer, this guide contains the latest advancements in sewing which turns it into the ultimate source for information. It comes with easy-to-read charts for needle sizes, thread, and stabilizer types. You will get a brand new full-color edition that contains everything there is to know about sewing.
- 225 color images, fabric and fiber dictionary
- It contains the latest advancements in sewing
- You will get a brand new full-color edition
Couture Sewing Techniques
Another book that will give you access to the magical world of haute couture and help you become one of the few who can survive, is the ‘Couture Sewing Techniques’. It was written by Claire B. Shaeffer and contains couture sewing techniques you need to know along with a special chapter on specialty fabrics.
No one can describe the couture garment construction like Shaeffer can. And this is why you need it. If you want to learn hand-sewing techniques, shape a garment for a perfect fit, classic closures and master edge finishes, this is the book you need to buy. Explore your creativity and boost your sewing potential.
- Ideal for both beginners and professionals
- It contains all the couture sewing techniques
- It also has a new chapter on specialty fabrics
- Very basic
- Lack of instructions
- Not for experts
Fitting and Pattern Alteration: A Multi-Method Approach
Are you in the mood for learning a multi-method approach to fitting and pattern alteration? If yes, I say that you buy the ‘Fitting and Pattern Alteration: A Multi-Method Approach’. No matter if you are a pro or a student who wants nicely fitted and comfortable garments, you will find this book extremely useful.
The multi-method approach mentioned in the title is easy to follow because it is logical. Each alteration process is followed by identification of the figure variation for the upper-torso, mid-torso, legs, hips and arms causing the fitting problem. If you want to create perfectly fitted clothing, this is the guide for you.
- It teaches you how to make nicely fitted garments
- A multi-method approach that is logical and easy to follow
- It is perfect for advanced sewers and professionals
- Way overpriced
- No section headers
- Not for beginners
Patternmaking for Fashion Design
Know for its impressive illustration, comprehensive coverage and detailed instructions, ‘Patternmaking for Fashion Design’ is ideal for anyone developing pattern making skills. It delivers a detailed explanation of the basics of pattern making and will teach you how to make any design regardless of its complexity.
It also includes a special chapter on patternmaking for bias-cut garments and fitting corrections for basic patterns. Everything you want to know about patternmaking for fashion design is explained in this book, so do not hesitate to buy it today. Also, please check the customer comments at Amazon before you do.
- Impressive illustration
- Comprehensive coverage
- Detailed instruction
- Too complex
An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design • Techniques, Tips, and Tricks
Next, I will review an illustrated handbook for handbag design. It includes all the techniques, tricks and tips you need to know in order to create beautiful bags. Making one without following it will result in an average bag with a homemade touch. However, if you read this book, you will give it a handmade look.
What is the difference between homemade and handmade touch, you wonder? Nicole Mallalieu, the author of the guide, says that the difference is in the technique. In this book, she presents professional, high-end techniques, secrets and shortcuts for adding a professional finish and creating a great design.
She presents ten projects that will teach you how to create polished bags by awakening your creativity and potential. Once you read this book and apply the tips she reveals, you will realize that you can sew even better that you think you can. Now, let’s check out the positive and negative reviews of this book.
- One of the best sewing books for bags
- Professional-high-end techniques and shortcuts
- It will awaken your creativity and potential
- The patterns are confusing
- Too many words, too little pictures
- Not for absolute beginners
The Sewing Machine Embroiderer's Bible
Are you into embroidery and want to boost your skills? I have just the sewing book for you. It is called ‘The Sewing Machine Embroiderer’s Bible’. This guide includes important information about the formats and types of available designs, how to download them and transfer them onto your machine, and more.
You can also learn how to stabilize your fabric, which needles and threads to use in order to get the best results and how to use the patterns creatively for impressive results. This sewing book also offers details about built-in embroidery stitches that modern sewing machines offer and a step-by-step guide on how to make many embroidery designs from 3D, free-standing, heirloom, fancy lettering, trapunto and so on.
- Important information about the formats and types of designs
- It teaches how to download and transfer designs to your embroidery machine
- It teaches how to stabilize your fabric and which needles and threads to use
- Font size is too small
Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing
There is not much information about this sewing book online. The description at Amazon said: “guide to sewing” and that was it. However, when I started reading the reviews by satisfied customers, I realized that the reason why it does not have any description is that it does not need one since it is so incredible.
Yes, it is old but still informative. Although some tools or products have changed, the information is solid and relevant. It is amazing to read that new sewers have inherited this amazing book from their mothers and grandmothers. No matter what questions you have about sewing, this great book will answer them.
The few chapters include necessities of sewing, patterns, fabrics & cutting, portfolio of fitting methods, construction basics, necklines & collars, waistline waistbands & bels, sleeves & sleeve finishes, making & applying pockets, hems & other edge finishes, handbook of closures, techniques of tailoring, sewing for men & children, sewing for the home, and easy sewing projects. What more could you possibly ask for?
- The chapters of this guide cover almost every aspect of sewing
- It contains relevant information and answers your sewing questions
- One of the best sewing books to read
- Outdated information
The Art of Manipulating Fabric
The possibilities for 3D fabric manipulation are endless including gathering, tucking, shirring, pleating, and quilting woven materials. If you want to learn about the art of manipulating fabric, you need to buy this book immediately. It contains over 350 diagrams, how-tos, specific sub-sections and so much more.
The author of this book, Colette Wolff reveals everything she knows about both traditional and modern techniques. She reveals different examples and beautiful galleries you can visually learn how to reshape, resurface, reconstruct and restructure fabric. This guide is perfect for textile artists, quilters and sewers.
- One of the best modern sewing books
- Ideal for textile artists, quilters and sewers
- One of the best sewing books for intermediate users
- It contains over 350 diagrams, how-tos, and specific sub-sections
- It includes traditional and modern techniques
- Nice, but confusing and unbalanced
- Black and white photos of completed projects without instructions
- Not the best choice for seamstresses
The Complete Guide to Serging and Decorative Stitching
For professional seaming, hemming, edging and decorative sewing, you just cannot beat a serger. If you own one at home, this book is perfect for you. I am talking about a step-by-step guide on how to use the serger you own and make the most out of your machine. It comes with detailed instructions and images.
You will learn how to set up your unit, how to adjust the settings in order to get the best results by using different fabrics and how to edge your creations fast and get perfect results. Also, you will learn that the feet play a crucial role in your work and can help you with gathering, attaching piping, elastic or beading.
Have you ever experienced skipped stitches? If yes, you probably know how frustrating it is. However, if you order this book, you can kiss goodbye the skipped stitches, snapped thread and the uneven sewing because this book provides troubleshooting tips and fast solutions for all these common stitching issues.
- It provides troubleshooting tips and solutions
- Ideal for people who want to learn how to use a serger
- It contains detailed instructions and photographs
- Not for advanced sewers
- The quality of the bookbinding is poor
- Not the most general guide
The Costume Making Guide: Creating Armor and Props for Cosplay
If you are into costume making, you will absolutely adore ‘The Costume Making Guide: Creating Armor and Props for Cosplay’. It will boost your superhuman costume-making skills and awaken your potential like no other guide. If you buy it, you will get a step-by-step guide on cosplay that does not need sewing.
It contains 30 detailed demonstrations that can help you bring your favorite characters to life no matter the genre. Tutorials cover design planning, 3D painting techniques, fabricating body armor are just a few of the things you will learn from this book. It includes basic safety tips, a nice photo gallery that features photos from other cosplayers, a short shopping list of important materials and tools and so much more.
- 30 detailed demonstrations
- Step-by-step guide on cosplay without sewing
- Basic safety tips and a nice photo gallery
- Needs better packaging
Free-Motion Meandering: A Beginners Guide to Machine Quilting
Looking for a simple but effective quilting book for beginners? If yes, I have just the book for you. It is the ‘Free-Motion Meandering: A Beginners Guide to Machine Quilting’. Written by a best-selling author, Angela Walters, this great quilting guide will teach you all you need to know about free-motion quilting.
Free-motion machine quilting is not as scary as you think it is. With a couple of designs up your sleeve, it can be easy and enjoyable. Thanks to this guide, you will be able to finish any quilt on your machine and enjoy the process. This book can teach you 8 meandering stitches plus original transformations for each.
- A detailed guide on free-motion quilting
- You will be able to finish any quilt no matter the complexity
- You will learn 8 meandering stitches
- Not the best choice for beginners
Ruler work Quilting Idea Book
‘Ruler work Quilting Idea Book’ is another great book for quilters that will help you improve your work and make you explore new opportunities. Quilting rulers have been used by longarm quilters for a very long time. However, with the ruler work quilting idea book, domestic quilters can enjoy the party too.
Amanda, the author, presents 6 basic shapes of machine quilting ruler to make a foundation for quilting. She also suggests 59 different designs and finishes up with suggestions for filling up the background with free-motion quilting. If you want to boost your quilting skills and quilt like a pro, this is the guide for you.
- 6 shapes of machine quilting ruler to make a base for quilting
- 59 different designs and suggestions for filling up the background space
- If you want to improve your quilting skills, this guide is for you
- Picture diagrams too small
- Not much practical information
- Not for advanced quilters
Joyful Stitching: Transform Fabric with Improvisational Embroidery
Looking for the most detailed embroidery beginner’s guide? If yes, look no further than ‘Joyful Stitching: Transform Fabric with Improvisational Embroidery’. It comes with 21 basic embroidery stitches and basic projects you can find super useful when creating your smaller, free-from and colorful embroidery pieces.
If you follow Laura’s steps, you will turn every plain, flat surface into a colorful, joyful, design-packed art piece. You can stitch on felt, silk, and wool and enjoy the pleasure of slow stitching with help from this nice guide. It provides a gallery of display ideas, as well as other extra ideas for using free-form stitching.
- The most detailed embroidery beginner’s guide
- It has a gallery of display ideas and other ideas for using free-form stitching
- 21 basic embroidery stitches and basic projects
Jelly Filled―18 Quilts from 2 1/2'' Strips: All Skill Levels
Last but not least important is the ‘Jelly Filled – 18 Quilts from 2 ½’’ Strips: All Skill Levels’ written by the popular author of Charm School. As the title says, it delivers 18 projects using precut 2 ½’’ strips. You will learn how to make basic blocks and pro-designs like log cabins, triangles, and curves from precut strips.
Thanks to this book, you can make your own strips from yardage. No matter if you are a new user or an advanced user, you will absolutely love this guide and save time on cutting. However, please review the positive and negative customer comments of this quilting guide at Amazon before you make a purchase.
- 18 projects using precut 2 ½ strips
- You can make your own strips from yardage
- Perfect for beginners and experts
What do You Need as a Beginner Sewer?
First and foremost, you will need a sewing machine. Buy the best one you can afford. However, keep in mind that different sewing machines meet different sewing needs. For example, a heavy-duty machine is recommended is you sew denim, canvas, leather, upholstery or other stubborn hard sewing materials.
You will also need a pair of sewing scissors for cutting fabric, a cutting board, hand sewing needles, extra machine needles, water-soluble pencils, a measuring tape, thread, pin cushion, many pins, seam ripper, extra bobbins, the best iron for sewing and ironing board and a detailed sewing book for new beginners.
I recommend the First Time Sewing: The Absolute Beginner's Guide for an enthusiastic user who wants to learn the craft. However, if you are an experienced user, The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting. Have you read some of the sewing books that I reviewed and what are your honest comments on them?
I sincerely hope that my buying guide and book reviews will help you choose the best sewing books for you. Feel free to ask questions in the comment section. Also, do not forget to share this article with your best friends who need help with choosing a book and follow my website for latest updated and reviews.