Oil paint brushes might appear skinny and lightweight but they definitely punch above their weight.
They represent the most important weapons in every artist’s arsenal, so choosing the best ones is very important. However, with so many options on the market from different brands, this task can be a little difficult. That is why I wrote this article and decided to review only the best oil paint brushes out there.
Let’s review these products in detail, check their pros and cons and pick the right ones for you together.
- What are The Best Oil Paint Brushes?
- Top 20 Best Oil Paint Brushes 2021
- Best Oil Paint Brushes Reviews
- da Vinci Oil Maestro Liner Brush
- Princeton Catalyst Polytip Brush
- LorDac Arts Detail Paint Brushes Set
- Winsor and Newton Winton Long Handle Brush
- Speedball Art Oil Paint Brush
- Silver Brush Oil Brush Set
- Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set
- Artify Professional Paint Brush Set
- Virtuoso Fine Paint Brushes
- Artify Professional Oil Paint Brush Set
- Red Sable Filbert Paint Brushes
- Adi's Art Pro Paint Brushes Set
- Crafts 4 ALL Professional Paint Brushes Set
- Artify Paint Brushes Art Set
- D'Artisan Shoppe Oil Brush Set
- D'Artisan Shoppe Masters Series VI Artist Paint Brush Set Professional
- Magic Touches Making Life Magical Oil Paint Brush
- ZenART Supplies Oil Artist Brushes
- Komina Acrylic Paint Brush Set
- Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set
- Oil Paint Brushes Types
- What is the Best Paint Brush to Use with Oil Based Paint?
- Can Oil Paint Brushes be Used for Acrylic?
- How to Use Oil Paint Brushes?
- How to Clean Oil Paint Brushes?
- What's the Best Way to Clean Oil Paintbrushes?
- How Do You Deep Clean Paint Brushes?
- Can I Use a Foam Brush with Oil Based Paint?
- Can You Clean Oil Paint Brushes with Nail Polish Remover?
- Can You Use Baby Oil to Clean Oil Paint Brushes?
- Can You Clean Oil Paint Brushes with Rubbing Alcohol?
- How to Store Oil Paint Brushes?
- How to Restore Oil Paint Brushes?
- Best Oil Paint Brush Washer
What are The Best Oil Paint Brushes?
In order to help you choose the right set or single brushes for your next art project, I have highlighted 10 of the best oil paintbrushes. Hopefully, this list will give you all the necessary information that you need before you make a purchase. However, do not forget to check their main pros and cons below the chart.
- Best Overall: da Vinci Oil Maestro Liner Brush
“Wide range of brushes and sizes, great paint distribution, ideal for large scale work, Kolinsky red sable.”
- Runner Up: Princeton Brush
“Super-affordable, wide brush sizes options, work with all mediums, long-lasting, synthetic split tips.”
- Best Budget: Adi's Art Pro Paint Brushes Set
“Reasonably-priced, durable, easy to clean and maintain, useful container, works with any kind of paint.”
- Best for Beginners: Winsor and Newton Winton Long Handle Brush
“Good starter kit for newbies & hobbyists, optimal brush quality, long-lasting performance, affordable.”
- Best for Professionals: Artify Professional Paint Brush Set
“High-quality, made of pure hog bristles, perfect for oil painting, wooden handles, long-lasting pro set.”
- Best for Artists: Red Sable Filbert Paint Brushes
“Ideal for oil painting, an excellent choice for thriving artists, versatile, ergonomic handles, lightweight.”
- Best for Wet Oil Painting: ZenART Supplies Oil Brushes
“Premium quality, soft Japanese synthetic bristles, great performance, satin carrying case, wet tested.”
- Best for Oil Based Paint: Crafts 4 ALL Professional Paint Brushes Set
“Affordable, well-built body and handle, easy to use and maintain, soft and flexible bristles, versatile.”
- Best for Details: LorDac Arts Detail Paint Brushes Set
“Perfect for details, affordable, durable glue and quality aluminum ferrules, Taklon synthetic bristles.”
- Best Synthetic: Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set
“Great for beginners, reasonable price, suitable for working with different mediums, super-versatile.”
- Best for Painting and Decorating: Virtuoso Fine Paint Brushes
“Versatile, perfect for fine details, painting miniatures, models and action figures, durable, affordable.”
- Best Set: Artify Paint Brushes Art Set
“Long-lasting, wide range of brush sizes, lacquer-coated handles, lightweight, flexible, free accessories.”
- Best Hog Bristle Brushes: D'Artisan Oil Paint Brush Set
“Aluminum ferrules, durable, great for oil painting, anti-shedding bristles, lightweight, compact carrier.”
Top 20 Best Oil Paint Brushes 2021
During this review, I looked at several oil painting brushes from different brands in order to determine which one’s artists adored and trusted. However, more importantly, I paid close attention to what they had to say about their quality and usage. But first, let’s review and compare some of their key features.
- Top 18 Best Fabric Markers Reviews 2021
- 28 Best Paint Brushes For Acrylic Painting 2021 - Top Brands
- 18 Best Oil Paints For Beginners & Professionals 2020
- Top 15 Best Oil Pastels Reviews 2020
- Top 20 Best Watercolor Pencils Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Top 19 Best Art Markers Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Top 19 Best Acrylic Paint Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- 30 Best Colored Pencils Reviews 2020 (Beginners to Professional Artists)
|BEST OIL PAINT BRUSHES BRANDS||DIMENSIONS||WEIGHT||BRISTLE TYPE||AMOUNT PER SET|
|da Vinci Oil Maestro Liner Brush – Best Overall||15" x 6" x 1"||0.02 pounds||Kolinsky red sable||1|
|Princeton Catalyst Polytip Brush Dagger Striper – Runner Up||0.8" x 0.5" x 13.8"||0.1 pounds||Synthetic||1|
|LorDac Arts Detail Paint Brushes Set – Best Oil Paint Brushes for Fine Detail||9" x 4" x 0.2"||0.15 pounds||Taklon Synthetic||12|
|Winsor and Newton Winton Long Handle Brush – Best Oil Paint Brushes for Beginners||0.5" x 2.8" x 15"||0.21 pounds||Hog hair||5|
|Speedball Art Oil Paint Brush||0.2" x 0.2" x 11.5"||0.1 pounds||Kolinsky hair||1|
|Silver Brush Oil Brush Set||11" x 3" x 0.5"||0.05 pounds||Mongoose hair||6|
|Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set – Best Synthetic Oil Paint Brushes||3.4" x 3.4" x 15"||0.8 pounds||Synthetic||24|
|Artify Professional Paint Brush Set – Best Professional Oil Paint Brushes||4.1" x 1" x 14.1"||0.9 pounds||Hog hair||15|
|Virtuoso Fine Paint Brushes – Best Oil Paint Brushes Painting and Decorating||9.6" x 4.4" x 1.2"||0.35 pounds||Faux hair||15|
|Artify Professional Oil Paint Brush Set||13.7" x 2.8" x 0.7"||0.7 pounds||Hog hair||11|
|Red Sable Filbert Paint Brushes – Best Oil Paint Brushes for Artists||14.3" x 4" x 0.5"||0.05 pounds||Kolinsky's hair||6|
|Adi's Art Pro Paint Brushes Set – Best Budget||9.4" x 3.7" x 0.5"||0.15 pounds||Synthetic||10|
|Crafts 4 ALL Professional Paint Brushes Set – Best for Oil-Based Paint||10.3" x 5.2" x 0.4"||0.13 pounds||Nylon||12|
|Artify Paint Brushes Art Set – Best Oil Paint Brush Set||13.9" x 3" x 2.8"||0.07 pounds||Hog hair & nylon||38|
|D'Artisan Shoppe Maestro Series XV Artist Paint Brush Set Professional – Best Hog Bristle Brushes for Oil Painting||13.8" x 4.4" x 1.6"||0.71 pounds||Hog hair||15|
|D'Artisan Shoppe Masters Series VI Artist Paint Brush Set Professional||2" x 1.5" x 13"||0.35 pounds||Chungking Hog hair||6|
|Magic Touches Making Life Magical Red Sable Artist Paint Brushes||12.8" x 3.9" x 0.8"||0.25 pounds||Weasel Hair||6|
|ZenART Supplies Professional Oil & Acrylics Artist Brushes – Oil Paint Brushes for Details||13.8" x 1.2" x 4.7"||0.53 pounds||Chungking Hog & synthetic||14|
|Komina Acrylic Paint Brush Set||15" x 5.7" x 1.2"||1.35 pounds||Nylon||15|
|Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set||15" x 6" x 1"||1.2 pounds||Taklon hair||15|
Best Oil Paint Brushes Reviews
In order to choose the best set of oil paint brushes, you have to know everything about the product that you want to buy, so let’s summarize the pros and cons of these 20 sets and choose the right one for you.
da Vinci Oil Maestro Liner Brush
da Vinci oil maestro liner brush is a medium length tool with a clean straight edge and kolinsky red sable hair from the Tobol river region in eastern Siberia. It is perfect for long lines, lettering and fine line detail work. If you want a unique, long-handle lettering brush with a straight edge, this product is ideal for you.
- Has Kolinsky Red Sable
- Best brush for oil-based paint
- Wide range of brushes and sizes
- Best oil paintbrushes in the world
- Great paint distribution thanks to the mix of thick and thin fibers
- Ideal for large scale work
- Good paint absorption
- A bit pricey
- Some customers have extreme splatter while using the brush
- Not smooth brush strokes
Princeton Catalyst Polytip Brush
If you want a brush that will boost your work and creativity at the same time, Princeton Catalyst Polytip Brush Dagger Striper is the tool for you. It is created of synthetic hair. To be more precise, the tip of each individual hair has been split to replicate the natural flags on the finest natural bristle. It is just amazing.
This baby holds a higher volume of paint while delivering a smoother application. It is made for use with medium to heavy-bodied acrylics and oil paints. The flat shader is created of medium-length bristles that taper to a chisel edge, offering you a wide range of applications. It is ideal for broad strokes or fine lines.
- Very affordable
- Best quality oil paint brushes
- Wide brush sizes options
- Good fit for students
- Works with all mediums
- The bristles remain in good shape after a long time using
- Improved volume thanks to synthetic split tips
- Not artist grade
- Not enough sturdiness
- The brushes can lose their shape while scumbling techniques
LorDac Arts Detail Paint Brushes Set
(Best Oil Paint Brushes for Fine Detail)
LorDac Arts Detail Paint Brushes Set has premium design features, meaning they are made of synthetic hair which is way better than natural animal hair because real hair is more prone to damage from paints and solvents. Also, natural hair is more prone to breakage while synthetic bristles are less prone to this.
Also, they are more hygienic, cruelty-free, easy to clean and perfect for fine details. They come in many sizes, so you will always have the right brush to complete those perfect details. If you want to make your painting more enjoyable, this set is for you. It is perfect for nail art, face paints, and adult coloring books.
- Ideal for details
- Very good priced
- Durable glue and quality aluminum ferrules
- Work with acrylics, watercolors and oil paints
- Suitable for students
- Great for serious artists and hobbyists
- Perfect for beginners
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Equipped with Taklon synthetic bristles
- Low durable bristles
- The brush can easily fall off after a short time using
- Not suitable for professionals
- Difficult for small details painting
Winsor and Newton Winton Long Handle Brush
(Best Oil Paint Brushes for Beginning)
Made of durable hog bristles, Winsor and Newton Winton's long-handled brush has corrosion-resistant durable ferrules. The organic curve of the hog bristle makes a resilient brush that keeps shits shape even after heavy use. These brushes allow more control and accuracy, whether you use acrylics or oil paints.
- Good starter set for beginners and hobbyists
- Optimal brush quality
- Long-lasting performance
- Includes a variety of medium-sized brushes
- Very affordable brushes
- Not suitable for professionals and experts
- After a short time using bristles start to fall off on some of the brushes
- Limited to small & middle size pieces
Speedball Art Oil Paint Brush
Speedball art oil paintbrush is made with pure kolinsky hair. It is ideal for acrylics and oil paints because it is made with pure kolinsky hair. You can be 100% sure that the best of the female and male hairs were used to make a brush that delivers exceptional softness and natural spring. It has a pointed round shape.
It is made for acrylic and watercolor painting. This tool has triple crimp ferrule which is unique to Escola brushes and helps ensure a lifetime of use but here is the kicker. This product was handmade in Spain by artisan brush makers. Now, let’s summarize the pros and cons of this brush before you make a purchase.
- High-grade kolinsky sable
- Very good craftsmanship
- 9 different sizes
- Versatile paintbrush
- Includes lifetime warranty
- A little bit expensive
- Can not be used with other mediums
Silver Brush Oil Brush Set
Silver brush oil brush set contains 6 pieces of starter short handle ruby satin oil/acrylic brushes. It offers the short handle one each 5/8-inch size angular, four sizes round, medium triangle brushes. They deliver great color control with heavy body, jar or tube acrylics, oils, encaustic, gouache or casein. This item also provides 1/2-inch size grass filbert comb, 2/0 size monogram liner, and 10 sizes bright, amazing brushes.
- Stiff and springy bristles
- Perfect for intermediates
- Great for layering, double loading, blending, and stroke work
- Comfortable handle prevents fatigue
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Works very good with acrylic and oil paints
- Provides good handle control
- Expensive for beginners and students
Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set
(Best Synthetic Oil Paint Brushes)
Art Advantage Oil and acrylic brush set offer brushes coated at the factory in order to keep the bristles stiff. This helps to protect the hair in the brushes during packing and shipping. However, do not worry. It will wash off or you can move the bristles around with care to loosen them up and prevent any damage.
If you buy it, you will get 24 brushes with long handles that make the best tools for acrylic and oil to use with a free canvas brush roll-up (12 white nylon brushes and 12 sturdy hog bristle brushes).
The set has one of each flat and round in the next sizes: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 in natural hair and synthetic bristles.
- Great for beginners
- Reasonable price
- Suitable for working with different mediums
- Not suitable for long-term brush
- Fibers may shed
- It is not a good fit for professionals who looking for long-lasting brushes
Artify Professional Paint Brush Set
(Best Professional Oil Paint Brushes)
If you are looking for the best professional paint brush set with natural wood handles, look no further than Artify. It contains fine artist brushes that are individually handmade with luxury wood color handles and white coppers protective ferrules. This amazing set of brushes is fashioned by skilled brush makers.
It represents the natural beauty that contributes to our lives and awakens hope and inspiration. If you order this set, you will boost your creativity and art at once. The set has 15 stiff long-handled brushes in different sizes. They make the perfect tools for oil painting and come in a free carrying case for travel.
- Very good quality of brushes
- Made from pure hog bristles which are suitable for oil painting
- Wooden handles provide good comfort
- Long-lasting bristles
- Very good set for professionals
- Career box is made from cheap plastic
- A bit expensive for the quality they provide
Virtuoso Fine Paint Brushes
(Best Oil Paint Brushes Painting and Decorating)
The Virtuoso Fine Paint Brushes Set include 15 miniature artist paint brushes which will make sure that you always gave the right paintbrush in hand. They make the perfect tool for fine detail and allow you to enjoy a new sense of mastery and control when you use the rounds, liners, and flats in this amazing set.
The paintbrushes have shorter and thicker handles than standard paintbrushes. They deliver the perfect balance and easy-grip so you can concentrate on your painting instead of finding the perfect way to hold the brush. If you want the greatest brush kit for the flawless execution of details, this product is for you.
- Perfect for fine details
- Great for painting miniatures
- Ideal for painting models and action figures
- Suitable for painting dollhouses
- Durable faux hair bristles
- Easy to use
Artify Professional Oil Paint Brush Set
Artify professional oil paint brush set includes 11 brushes with 100% pure hog bristles and natural wood colored handles made by skilled brush makers from luxury wood and white copper protective ferrules. If you want long-lasting brushes that will improve your skills and make you a great artist, this set is for you.
The stiff texture offers durability and excellent performance after repeated uses. If you buy this set, you will get 5 Filbert brushes, 4 round brushes, 1 fan brush, and 1 brush. The set is suitable for both newbies and professional painters who dream of having complete control over the finest details. Or wide strokes.
- Amazing price
- High-quality synthetic brushes
- Provide a large range of shapes and sizes
- Free metal carrying box for travel and organization
- Suitable for arts and crafts
- Perfect for detailed work
- Delivers great precision work
- Ergonomic handles
- It is not suitable for applying thick brush strokes
- The bristles are not even
- Low durable bristles
Red Sable Filbert Paint Brushes
(Best Oil Paint Brushes for Artists)
Red Sable Filbert Paint Brushes make the perfect tool for oil paint, acrylics, and watercolor paint. If you buy this set, you will get super-versatile brushes for students, children, painting classes, professionals or full-time artists. They feature natural kolinsky sable hair that extends excellent liquid capacity and offers amazing strokes while painting your masterpieces, without stray hairs. Also, they come in popular sizes.
- Good for oil painting
- Useful set for beginners
- Pretty versatile brushes
- Equipped with ergonomic and durable handles
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Some customers report that bristles fall off after a short time using
- Brushes shed easily
- Easily come out of the ferrule
Adi's Art Pro Paint Brushes Set
Adi’s Art Pro Paint Brushes Set is personally my favorite on the list. Made with firmly held bristle to hold the paint exceptionally well, these brushes allow smooth strokes. And they will hold their shape whether you use oil paints, acrylics or watercolor paint after repeated uses without stray hairs & zero sheddings.
If you are looking for a comprehensive art paintbrush set that will cover all your needs, look no further than this affordable set. It includes 10 brushes of which 2 angle brushes, 2 flat paintbrush sizes, 3 filbert paint brushes, 2 round paintbrush sizes, and 1 rigger. The best part? They have real birch wood handles.
- Reasonably priced
- Great durability
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Has useful brushes container
- Suitable with any kind of paint
- A bit pricey than other competitors
- Some customers report bristles falling issues
Crafts 4 ALL Professional Paint Brushes Set
(Best for Oil-Based Paint)
Crafts 4 all professional paintbrushes set provides a wide range of paintbrush sizes and shapes. You will receive a small, medium and large thickness, as well as flat, round, filbert, angle and angular shapes with razor-sharp tip capable of complementing any palette. Also, each tool has a rust-free aluminum ferrule.
But here is the kicker. They also feature durable wooden handles and soft and flexible brush hair. I love the handles because they deliver an effortless and enjoyable painting. This set makes the ideal birthday gift for your friends, kids, relatives or partner who dreams of becoming a famous artist or already is one.
- Very affordable brushes
- Works perfectly with oil paint and watercolor
- Soft and flexible bristles
- Well built body and handle
- Easy to use and maintain
- Not suitable for professionals
- Low durable bristles
- Brushes are a little bit tiny
Artify Paint Brushes Art Set
(Best Oil Paint Brush Set)
Artify paint brushes art set offers a wide range of sizes in flat and round brushes you can choose from. If you want to apply both minor details and large strokes, do not worry because this set is versatile enough to handle both tasks. Each type of brush is made from different hairs including nylon, pony and hog hair.
The natural hair is elastic and durable enough to withstand multiple washes. Also, it is resistant to frying, flaring and falling out after extended use. Meaning, it will continue to maintain its shape and provide the perfect lines every time. The best part? The original canvas wrap makes a portable and stylish accessory.
- Wide range of brush sizes
- Each handle is coated with lacquer
- Made from natural and synthetic hairs
- Handles provide perfect grip
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Very light and flexible
- Free accessories
- Bristles can fall off after a short time using
- Some of the report that some of the brushes come glued together
- A bit expensive set
D'Artisan Shoppe Oil Brush Set
(Best Hog Bristle Brushes for Oil Painting)
D’Artisan Shoppe Maestro XV Series Artist Paint Brush Set Professional will make sure that you have no loose hairs or paint flaking off of your brushes. This set features high-quality brushes unlike those cheap options on the market. They work for all paint types and can be used for oils, watercolor or acrylic paint.
If you want a super versatile set of paintbrushes (4 natural hog hair bristles brushes, 11 synthetic bristle brushes), this product is perfect for you. It allows you to make the brush strokes you need and enjoy the painting process thanks to the ergonomically-designed long-handled paintbrushes. If you buy this set, it will come in a lightweight, stylish carrying case for travel. Now, let’s summarize the main pros and cons.
- Have bristles made from soft synthetic and natural hog hair
- Durable aluminum ferrules
- Suitable for oil painting
- Easy to clean and maintenance
- Anti-shedding bristles
- Very compact and lightweight carrier
- Lifetime return and guarantee
- A little bit more expensive than other brands
- Feel flimsy because of lightweight material
- Some of the customers have issues with the bristles
D'Artisan Shoppe Masters Series VI Artist Paint Brush Set Professional
D’Artisan Shoppe Maters Series VI Artist Paint Brush Set Professional is perfect for painters who prefer boar bristles for oil paintings. These tools work perfectly as acrylic paintbrushes to create loose painterly strokes. You will get brushes for both large or smaller canvas paintings that will provide excellent results.
They make the perfect choice for both beginners and serious artists. I personally recommend them due to the ergonomic long handles. The brushes have a great balance and weight which prevents fatigue. So, if you want lightweight, handmade brushes in different sizes with a brush holder, this product is for you.
- Has ergonomic long handles
- Build from high-quality material
- Packed in a durable and protective case
- Makes the perfect gift for your loved one
- Suitable for work with oil and acrylic painting
- Versatile brush set
- Sometimes bristles fall off while washing the brushes
- The bristles do not hold their shape after using
- In some cases, customers report issues with loose ferrule
Magic Touches Making Life Magical Oil Paint Brush
Magic Touches Making Life magical red sable artist paintbrushes make the perfect tools for acrylic and oil painting. However, you can also use them for watercolor and gouache painting. They offer incredible liquid holding capacity that results in an easy, consistent and smooth flow of paint. I recommend this set because it features well-balanced paintbrushes with long handles made of actual polished birch wood.
- Very good quality
- Good range of Filbert brushes
- Ideal for working on any types of mediums
- Provide high painting performance
- The bristles are made from high-grade weasel hair
- Precisely balanced and ergonomic handles
- Includes bonus digital eBooks
- A little bit overpriced
- The bristles are too soft for some painting applications
- Not include carrying case
ZenART Supplies Oil Artist Brushes
(Oil Paint Brushes for Details)
ZenArt supplies professional oil and acrylics artist brushes are the perfect tools for oil and heavy-bodied acrylics. If you buy this set, you will get 14 handmade, professional brushes with exquisite and lacquered handles made of birchwood that allow complete freedom of movement as you set back from your easel.
If you are looking for the best-combined brushes (natural and synthetic hair) that will make sure your art is never ruined by loose hairs again, this set is for you. These high-quality brushes also have nickel-plated ferrules to prevent rusting. You will also get a palette knife and a roll-up carrying box for travel. It makes a perfect Christmas or birthday gift for all the artists in your life. Now, let’s read the main pros and cons.
- Premium quality
- Ideal for acrylics and watercolor
- Wide range of brush types and sizes
- Very soft Japanese synthetic bristles
- Best brushes for wet on wet oil painting
- Provide amazing painting performance
- Includes beautiful satin carrying case
- Has sturdy nickel-plated ferrules
- Wet tested to reduce shedding
- Ergonomic birchwood handles
- Pretty expensive brush set
Komina Acrylic Paint Brush Set
Komina Acrylic Paint Brush Set is suitable for both beginners and serious artists, children, and students. It is versatile and easy to use. If you want a handmade set with high-quality nylon, this one is perfect for you. It comes with a stylish protective paint brush holder for carrying your brushes on your next travel.
These brushes have long and ergonomic handles. You can use them for acrylics, watercolor, gouache, oil and so on. It is the perfect face body brush set. However, make sure to check the cons before you order.
- Very affordable brushes
- Has protective long-lasting brush holder
- Wide range of brush sizes
- Made from durable and sturdy material
- Suitable for both beginners and advanced users
- Not the best fit for highly skilled professionals
Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set
Last but not least, I have the most versatile brush set which includes 15 different sizes from 3/0 to 12. It is the Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set. No matter your skill level, you will love this product. Made with elegance and versatility in mind, it is ideal for personal use. The brushes have long, high-quality handles.
These babies can be used for acrylics, watercolors, oil paintings, and gouaches. They come in a beautiful zippered holder which could be a great gift for family, friends or partners. If you want a portable set that will get your creative juices flowing, this beauty is for you. Now, let’s summarize the main pros and cons.
- Excellent variety of sizes
- Include long-lasting and easy to carry pouch
- Reasonable priced
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Perfect fit for beginners and kids
- Usable for oil, acrylic, watercolor, and gouache
- Has thick and smooth bristles
- Ergonomic long wooden shaft
- Durable design
- Easy to clean
- Customers report that bristles falling off early
- Not professional-grade brushes
- The bristles are too soft for art applications
Oil Paint Brushes Types
You can choose between two types of oil paint brushes: sable and bristle.
All brushes have bristles, but only the ones with hog’s hair go by the name “bristle” brushes. This type of hair grabs more paint which makes these oil paintbrushes the perfect tool for laying the paint on thick or highlight your brushstrokes.
Sable brushes, on the other hand, are much softer and made of different fibers. Some have weasel hair, while others contain synthetic, rabbit or squirrel fibers. No matter which one you choose, sable brushes make the perfect tools for smooth blending and fine details. Synthetic brushes are one of the best ones. You can also pick between different oil paintbrush shapes including fan, round, flats, Filberts and brights.
What is the Best Paint Brush to Use with Oil Based Paint?
Serious artists and professionals use a natural China-bristle made of hog hair paintbrush with oil-based paint. If you are painting on a smooth surface, use a natural white bristle paintbrush because it is softer.
Can Oil Paint Brushes be Used for Acrylic?
My research says you can use acrylic brushes with oil paint but you cannot use oil paint and watercolor brushes with acrylic paint. It is recommended that you use specially designed acrylic brushes for acrylics.
Oil paint brushes vs acrylic paintbrushes
Oil paint requires brushes with thicker bristles in order to move the dense and heavy paint around. The difference between oil paint brushes and acrylic brushes is in the thickness. Acrylic paints have a softer texture than oil paint but they are thicker than watercolors. You should choose something in the middle.
How to Use Oil Paint Brushes?
In my opinion, every artist has different techniques that work for him, meaning, you can learn different techniques that work for other artists. But you will develop your own techniques over time. You will also build a style that will mark your creations. If you want to learn more about this, please watch this video.
How to Clean Oil Paint Brushes?
According to experts, the best way to clean your paintbrushes is to be as gentle as possible. You can use warm water, a little bit of soap and clean your paintbrushes with your fingers. However, if you want this to work, you have to clean your paintbrushes regularly. Meaning, you should clean them after every use.
Also, you should not over dip your paintbrush while in use. It is recommended to dip your brush into the paint only about two fingers wide. If there is still paint leftover, add extra soap and keep on running your brush through your fingers. If that does not work either, please watch this video on further instructions.
What's the Best Way to Clean Oil Paintbrushes?
The best way to clean your brushes is with solvent. Also known as paint thinner, this product will clean your brushes thoroughly. Cleaning them with soap and warm water will simply not function.
I always say that regular cleaning and proper maintenance will keep your oil paint brushes in good shape. It will also make sure that warm water and soap will work but only if you clean your paintbrushes after every use.
How Do You Deep Clean Paint Brushes?
Cleaning your oil paintbrushes after every use thoroughly will keep them usable for a long period. It will also make sure that you do not have to try very hard to clean them after each painting session, so follow these simple steps on how to deep clean your paintbrushes with solvent and keep them in good shape.
Step 1: Wipe your paintbrush on a paper towel or rag
This will help you remove as much paint as possible and clean your brush a lot easier. Use a paper towel to remove the oil paint or simply wipe your brush on the edge of the paintbox as you are wrapping it up.
Step 2: Rinse your paintbrush in the appropriate solvent
You can use the dirty solvent from your painting session. Just pour it into a bucket or bowl and run your brush back and forth through it with care. Wipe your brush along the sides and bottom of the container.
Step 3: Choose a different solvent for different paint type
If you use oil-based paints, you will need mineral spirits. However, if you use water-based paints, water should be your first choice. If you use shellac, denatured alcohol is what you can use to clean your brush.
Step 4: Wash your brush’s bristle in soap and warm water
Rinse your brush’s bristle in warm water and dish soap in order to remove the solvent. Once you finish, I suggest that you rinse your brush under running warm water until all the dish soap is removed. Wipe the brush with a paper towel or rag again. Repeat the process by using your fingers. Or a special paint comb.
Step 5: Shake out the extra water and let your brush air dry
Blot or shake out the excess water. This will reshape the bristles to the right form, then store the brush upright in your container, so they cannot change shape when dry. Allow your brushes air dry completely before you store them away in their original containers. If you store wet brushes, they could grow mold.
Can I Use a Foam Brush with Oil Based Paint?
You can use a foam brush with oil-based paint. However, for the best coverage with water-based paint or latex, choose a synthetic bristle brush made of polyester or nylon. Natural bristle brush works best for oil-based paint. However, as I already stated, you can also use a foam brush or a polyester bristle brush.
Can You Clean Oil Paint Brushes with Nail Polish Remover?
You cannot clean oil paintbrushes with a nail polish remover. If you try, it will weaken the glue that holds the bristles and they will fall out. My research says that Dove soap can help you clean your paintbrushes.
Can You Use Baby Oil to Clean Oil Paint Brushes?
You can use baby oil to clean oil paintbrushes. In fact, baby oil is a great thinner for cleaning your brush without the odor. Just replace whatever you have been using with baby oil. After, wipe the paintbrushes with a paper towel. According to my research, dipping a brush in baby oil might help you clean it better.
Can You Clean Oil Paint Brushes with Rubbing Alcohol?
You can clean your oil paint brushes with rubbing alcohol. However, keep your space well ventilated or do it outside your home. First, pour the rubbing alcohol into a bowl or cup. After, dip your paintbrushes into the alcohol and let them soak. Leave them for an hour or two, depending on how messy they look.
How to Store Oil Paint Brushes?
Cleaning and storage will help your brushes keep their original form for a longer period. Proper storage means keeping your paintbrushes flat so the hairs do not touch other brushes. Never leave your brushes in a solvent or water, even while painting. If you want to learn to store them properly, watch this video.
How to Restore Oil Paint Brushes?
Keeping your brushes in their original form forever sounds like a good idea. It is not impossible. All you have to do is clean and store them properly. If you fail to do that, they will probably dry out.
But do not worry. There is a way to restore them. Check out these 12 tips on how to restore your favorite brushes.
Oil Paintbrush Care
Water media brushes and oil paint brushes are cleaned and stored the same way. You can use water to clean them. Always rinse your brushes with the bristles pointing down. Move their hairs in their natural direction. If you scrub, they might lose their original shape and deform a lot faster.
Oil Paintbrush Cleaning Tips
Taking proper care of your oil paint brushes will extend their life for sure. The most important tip that is easy to follow is cleaning your oil paint brushes right after every use. You can also wipe off excess paint with a soft piece of clothing. An old t-shirt that you do not wear anymore works well. You can also use baby oil instead of tinner for cleaning.
Best Oil Paint Brush Washer
No matter if you are a serious artist or just a beginner, you still need the right tools to get the most out of your painting. You can choose something cheaper. However, I kindly suggest that you invest more in supplies and get the best painting equipment that you can buy, such as the best oil paintbrush cleaner.
This product will keep your brushes in their original form for a longer time. No matter if you use acrylics or oil paints, it will remove the paint from your paintbrushes, and without ruining the delicate nature of their bristles.
Hopefully, this guide will help you choose the best oil paintbrushes. I recommend da Vinci Oil Maestro Liner Brush for everyone. But if you are a beginner, the Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush is a great starter kit. And if you want something cheaper, Adi's Art Pro Paint Brushes Set is the one to order.