Eventually, every expert needs a fabric cutting machine, so let’s review the best-selling units out there in order to pick the right one for you. This guide will save you time and money, however, most importantly, it will help you choose the best fabric cutting machine that meets your expectations, within your budget.
- Quick Answer: Best Fabric Cutting Machine 2020
- Best Fabric Cutting Machine 2020: 22 Saleable Units Reviewed
- 22 Best Fabric Cutting Machine Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Cricut Maker
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- Brother CM350 Electronic Cutting Machine
- AccuQuilt GO! Big Electric Fabric Cutter
- Reliable 1500FR Octagonal Knife Cloth Cutting Machine
- AccuQuilt Ready. Set. GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System
- Sizzix Big Shot Pro
- Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine
- Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Machine
- Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine
- Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool
- Silhouette Portrait 2
- Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
- Sizzix Big Shot Plus Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
- Cricut Expression 1 Electronic Cutting Machine
- Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting And Embossing Machine
- Sizzix Sidekick Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
- Brother SDX125E Cutting Machine
- Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut & Emboss Machine
- Hercules HRK-100 5-Speed Electric Rotary Fabric Cutter
- Mophorn Industrial Fabric Cutting Machine
- Gemini CCM GEM-M-USA Die Cutting Embossing Machine
- How to Choose a Fabric Cutting Machine?
- How to Use Fabric Cutting Machine?
- What is the Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Quilting?
- Can You Cut Fabric with a Vinyl Cutter?
- Do Cricut Machines Cut Fabric?
- Can Sizzix Cut Fabric?
- Can Cuttlebug Cut Fabric?
- Will a Silhouette Cameo Cut Fabric?
- Cricut vs Silhouette for Fabric
- Final Thoughts
Quick Answer: Best Fabric Cutting Machine 2020
- Best Overall: Cricut Maker
“Rotary blade and driving housing, materials included, a premium fine point blade and pen, affordable.”
- Runner Up: Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
“Cuts different materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long, works with print and cut and PixScan.”
- Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Quilters: AccuQuilt Ready. Set. GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System
“90% faster than rotary cutters and scissors, safe and easy to use, ideal for quilters, cuts up to 6 layers.”
- Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Beginners: Sizzix Sidekick Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
“Perfect for beginners, stylish design, designed for wafer-thin dies and embossing folders up to 2 ½’.”
- Best Manual Fabric Cutting Machine: Sizzix Big Shot Plus Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
“Limitless creative possibilities, ergonomic handle, cuts materials up to 9’’ (A4) wide, user-friendly.”
- Best Vinyl and Fabric Cutting Machine: Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine
“Electronic cutting machine for vinyl and fabric, free online software, 100 built-in designs, cutting blade.”
- Best Budget: Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting And Embossing Machine
“Simple, low-tech option for adding texture to materials, works with other folders and dies, versatile.”
- Best Electric Fabric Cutting Machine: Hercules HRK-100 5-Speed Electric Rotary Fabric Cutter
“5-speed electric cutter with 4’’ octagonal blade, built-in sharpening stone, cuts different materials.”
- Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Garments: Reliable 1500FR Octagonal Knife Cloth Cutting Machine
“Automatic sharpener, super-thin base plate, powerful motor, side knife guard and front knife guard.”
- Best Commercial Fabric Cutting Machine: Mophorn Industrial Fabric Cutting Machine
“Auto knife sharpening system, safety mechanisms, compact, user-friendly, 2850 RPM, 8’’ blade size.”
Best Fabric Cutting Machine 2020: 22 Saleable Units Reviewed
Purchasing your first fabric cutting machine is not hard if you know what features to look out for. I have listed and compared some of the most important features of top-rated fabric cutting machine out there.
|BEST FABRIC CUTTING MACHINES||DIMENSIONS||WEIGHT||FEATURES||WARRANTY|
|Cricut Maker – Best overall||22.6 x 7.1 x 6.2||15.02 pounds||Rotary blade, driving housing, materials included, a premium fine point blade and fine point pen, affordable, a popular brand||1-year limited warranty|
|Cricut Explore Air 2 – Fabric Cutting Machine for Home Use||24 x 9.5 x 9.5||14 pounds||Cut and write up to 2 x faster, cut over 100 different fabrics, design anywhere without an internet connection (offline)||1-year limited warranty|
|Brother CM350 Electronic Cutting Machine||10.1 x 22.8 x 10.6||10.36 pounds||Versatile, 12 x 24 cutting, 30% larger than before touch screen, ScanNCut canvas, 631 built-in designs||1-year limited warranty|
|AccuQuilt GO! Big Electric Fabric Cutter – Automatic Fabric Cutter Machine||19 x 18.8 x 6||29.1 pounds||Electric fabric cutter starter set, cuts 6 layers of fabric at once, easy to store, easy to transport||1-year limited warranty|
|Reliable 1500FR Octagonal Knife Cloth Cutting Machine – Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Garments||11.3 x 5 x 10||7.95 pounds||Automatic sharpener, powerful motor, super-thin base plate, side knife guard and front knife guard||1-year limited warranty|
|AccuQuilt Ready. Set. GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System – Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Quilting||26.5 x 19.5 x 8||33 pounds||90% faster than rotary cutters and scissors, cuts up to six layers with great precision, safe & easy to use||1-year limited warranty|
|Sizzix Big Shot Pro – Best Machine for Cutting Fabric Shapes||24 x 21.6 x 8||3.92 pounds||Ergonomic handle for easy roller action, 13’’ wide opening, made of industrial strength materials, safe||3-year limited warranty|
|Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine – Best Cricut Machine for Cutting Fabric||25.4 x 10 x 9.2||16.89 pounds||Smart set dials for material settings, works with all Cricut cartridges, cut smart precision, wireless cutting||1-year limited warranty|
|Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Machine||16 x 10.7 x 8||7.5 pounds||Die-cuts and embosses different materials up to 6 inches with ease, large multipurpose platform, a popular brand, 1-year warranty||1-year limited warranty|
|Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine – Best Vinyl and Fabric Cutting Machine||11 x 11 x 24||10.6 pounds||An electronic cutting machine that can cut different materials, includes Silhouette Studio, cutting blade, and 100 designs||1-year limited warranty|
|Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool – Best Computerized Fabric Cutting Machine||21 x 5.5 x 6||9.74 pounds||12-inch cutting mat + 50 cuttable designs included + $10 gift card, the software is MAC and PC compatible, cheap and easy to use||1-year limited warranty|
|Silhouette Portrait 2||18 x 8 x 9||3.53 pounds||Bluetooth, auto blade, software included (compatible with MAC and PC), 50 exclusive designs, cuts different materials||1-year limited warranty|
|Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine – Runner Up||22.5 x 8.5 x 6||6 pounds||Cuts different materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long, compatible with print and cut and PixScan technology||1-year limited warranty|
|Sizzix Big Shot Plus Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine – Best Manual Fabric Cutting Machine||15.8 x 11.8 x 7.5||16 pounds||Cuts and emboss with ease, limitless creative possibilities, cuts materials up to 9’’ (A4) wide, ergonomic handle, cheap||1-year limited warranty|
|Cricut Expression 1 Electronic Cutting Machine||22.9 x 11 x 9.2||18.5 pounds||Works with Cricut craft room, no Cricut cartridges included, six modes and four functions offer greater customization of cuts, 12" x 12" cutting mat included||1-year limited warranty|
|Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting And Embossing Machine – Best Budget||13 x 11 x 6.5||11.55 pounds||Simple, low-tech option for adding more texture to your materials, cuts different materials, works with other folders/dies||1-year limited warranty|
|Sizzix Sidekick Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine – Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Beginners||7.8 x 3.5 x 4.8||2 pounds||Ideal for beginners, stylish white and grey design, designed for wafer-thin dies and embossing folders up to 2 ½” wide, cheap||1-year limited warranty|
|Brother SDX125E Cutting Machine – Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Applique||9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1||19 pounds||On-screen editing, cuts up to 3mm thick materials, blade sensor technology, easy to use, wireless network-ready, 682 designs||1-year limited warranty|
|Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut & Emboss Machine||16 x 10 x 12||22.3 pounds||Can be used with most standard etched dies/wafer-thin, texture plates, embossing folders, and contour steel rule dies, versatile||1-year limited warranty|
|Hercules HRK-100 5-Speed Electric Rotary Fabric Cutter – Best Electric Fabric Cutting Machine||10 x 4 x 5.5||4.15 pounds||5-speed electric cutter with 4’’ octagonal blade, built-in sharpening stone, cuts cotton, silk, synthetic fiber, leather, and much more||1-year limited warranty|
|Mophorn Industrial Fabric Cutting Machine – Commercial Fabric Cutting Machine||25.9 x 14.3 x 10.2||36.1 pounds||Automatic knife sharpening system, safety mechanisms, compact and easy to use, 8’’ blade size, 6.3’’ cutting height, 2850 RPM||1-year limited warranty|
|Gemini CCM GEM-M-USA Die Cutting Embossing Machine||14 x 8 x 6.5||20.5 pounds||The Gemini is fast and quiet and has a sleek, low-profile design, cuts up to 8.5x11", easy to use (pause, resume and reverse buttons)||1-year limited warranty|
22 Best Fabric Cutting Machine Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
When buying professional fabric cutting machines, several factors need to be considered. First of all, it is important to decide if you want an electric machine, a manual model or an electronic one. Each type has advantages and disadvantages. Once you know your type, dive into my reviews and pick the one for you.
- Cricut Joy Review – Your New Best DIY Friend
- Top 11 Best Cricut Machine For Beginners To Buy
- Cricut Easy Press Mini Review - Your Small-Scale Creative Assistant
- Cricut Easy Press Vs. Heat Press - Which One Will Take The Win?
- Cricut Explore Air vs Cricut Maker: Between Two Giants
- Cricut Maker vs Cricut Explore Air 2 - Find Your Hero-Of-The-Hour
- Silhouette Curio vs Cricut Explore Air: Who Will Win?
- Cricut Maker vs Silhouette Cameo 4 - Which One Will Triumph?
The Cricut maker is one of the most popular fabric cutting units out there. It provides your freedom to create everything from iron-on, paper crafts, vinyl decals, sewing creations, balsa models, and leather crafts. It has powerful blades, scoring tool, and pens. It grows with you as you master each new practice.
This model comes includes a new rotary blade with rolling action that cuts through any fabric accurately and fast. You will not need a backing material if you buy this unit. If you want to simplify your sewing or quilting projects, this cutting machine is the right pick for you. It also has a docking slot for your phone.
You can also charge your device using the USB port. As for designs, you can use your custom designs for free in different standard formats. Already in love with this machine? Review the cons before you order.
- Quality components
- Works smoothly
- Easy to use
- Cuts hundreds of materials
- Excellent support
- Pricey if only for occasional use
- Design space software can be slow
- Semi-complicated to do projects wider than 12 inches
Cricut Explore Air 2
(Fabric Cutting Machine for Home Use)
Next, I have the Cricut Explore Air 2 cutting machine that you will absolutely adore. It is a personal DIY cutting unit for making custom vinyl stickers, personalized home décor, custom-designed apparel, your own greeting cards and so on. You can upload your own designs or just choose some of their libraries.
If you order this machine, you will get a double tool holder for writing and cutting or scoring and cutting at the same time. Also, you can design anywhere, anytime using your mobile phone, tablet or PC. All you need to do is download the free Cricut design app for your android unit or MAC and you are good to go.
With this machine, you will achieve the perfect cut every time thanks to the smart set dial that ensures your unit cuts at the right depth and pressure depending on the material. You can cut over 100 different materials with this baby including faux leather, cardstock, poster board, specialty paper, viny and more.
- Superb design
- Very affordable
- Top-quality components
- A lot of online resources
- Good for small business
- Slow design space software
- Only 12 inches wide
- Doesn’t cut many types of materials as Maker
Brother CM350 Electronic Cutting Machine
Another great machine for cutting fabric that you will fall in love with is the Brother CM350 electronic cutting unit. It comes with a 300 DPI built-in scanner that allows you to turn your photos into unique cut patterns and designs. It also has a large color touch screen that allows you to easily pick your functions.
The best part? I would say that for me are the multiple connectivity options, including PC connectivity & standalone or wireless network connectivity. This baby comes with a large scanning and cutting area and has a 12 inches x 12 inches cutting mat that you can use to make and cut many different unique designs.
It is compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1, and Windows 10. However, please refer to the instruction manual before you actually use this unit. Now, let’s review the main pros & cons.
- USB port
- Can program allowances for seams in the fabric
- The relatively affordable price point
- No computer required
- 300 DPI scanner included
- Full touchscreen
- Multi-device and wireless support
- Excellent precision cuts
- The Mats are not sticky and may slide around
- Only 2 types of mats available
- Slightly more expensive
- The machine’s mats are limited to 2 mm thick
- Limited for vinyl cutting
AccuQuilt GO! Big Electric Fabric Cutter
(Automatic Fabric Cutter Machine)
Looking for the best electric fabric cutter? If yes, the AccuQuilt GO is ideal for you. It is the greatest set that cuts accurately and quickly up to six layers of fabric at the same time. However, the best part about this unit is the safety features. The fully automatic set eliminated hand and arm strain and other issues.
No matter your age, you can use this electric fabric cutter and focus on creating your masterpieces. It is a portable, easy to use and store starter set. It is compatible with all dies from the same brand, so you can enjoy endless creation and many detail opportunities but it is not compatible with the Studio Fabric dies.
- Easily cut a wide range of fabrics
- Convenient design avoid arm soreness during long-time working
- No need for cartridges and dies
- Wireless network connectivity
- It is easy to use
- Extremely smooth and accurate while cutting
- Portability issues because it is heavy
- Some places are hardly reachable for cleaning
- Only one ply of fabric is cut at a time
- Can be unsuitable if you have small working space
Reliable 1500FR Octagonal Knife Cloth Cutting Machine
(Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Garments)
Searching for the best fabric cutting unit with a powerful motor and other advanced features that you will find useful as a professional? If yes, I have a recommendation – the Reliable 1500RF cutting machine with an octagonal knife, adjustable front knife guard, automatic sharpener and other modern features.
This baby will make sure that you get a sharp edge on every cut and prevent injuries. It features a super-thin base plate for smooth cutting experience and side knife guard for additional safety.
However, make sure to check the pros and cons of this best-selling cutting workhorse before making your final decision.
- Versatile functionality
- Cuts perfectly trough medium and light fabrics
- Electric powered motor for efficiency
- Built-in sharpening mechanism
- 4-inch round blade for precise cutting
- No automatic settings
- Design software not included
- It’s limited only for fabric cutter
- Slightly noisy
- Needs occasional tightening
AccuQuilt Ready. Set. GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System
(Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Quilting)
Looking for the ultimate fabric cutting system that will save you time and money and ensure clean cuts?
If yes, the AccuQuilt Ready Set GO is ideal for you. It includes everything you need to begin your quilting project. It saves you time on cutting and performs 90% faster than any fabric scissors and rotary cutters.
If you want something that has the power to cut through 6 layers of fabric with ease in record time, this is the unit for you. It has a safe, easy-to-use design that helps reduce arm and hand strain. It also offers a lot of design options with a wide range of quilting shapes. Now, let’s check out the main pros and cons.
- Solid design quality
- Portable and easy to carry
- Build-in unlimited design options
- Able to cut up to 6 layers of fabric at a time
- Fast and accurate cutting
- It’s easy to use for beginners
- Not compatible with certain dies
- Limited dies included in the set
- May not be ideal for experienced users
Sizzix Big Shot Pro
(Best Machine for Cutting Fabric Shapes)
Have you ever heard of Sizzix? It is one of the most popular fabric cutting machine brands with quality products. And their Big Shot Pro is not an exception. If you want the perfect machine for embossing and die-cutting, this is the one. It has a 13’’ (33cm) sized opening that allows you to use Plus & Pro sized dies.
It is perfect for cutting larger shapes and 3-D items. It is compatible with Sizzix’s product library including Framelits die, Textured Impressions, Bigz, Thinlits, and much more. If you pick this machine, you will get a machine with a standing sliding tray, cutting pad, crease pad, 2 mylar shims, an adapter pad and more.
- Versatile and easy to use
- Hand crank guarantees a smooth feed
- Able to Cut multiple layers
- High-quality precise cutting
- Ideal tool for crafters and quilters
- Durable construction
- 13″ opening allows you to use all kinds of materials
- Bulky and heavy
- Not suitable for all kinds of professional work
- A little bit expensive
Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine
(Best Cricut Machine for Cutting Fabric)
If you want an advanced and by advanced I mean wireless cutting machine, the Cricut Explore Air is the perfect choice for you. It enables wireless cutting and dual carriage for cutting and writing or scoring and cutting at once. You can use your own images for free in different formats and cut +60 various materials.
Other advanced features include smart set dial for easy material setting, free Cricut design space online software and iPad application. If you want to get clean precise cuts every time, this machine is made for you. It works with all Cricut cartridges and has integrated storage parts. Let’s review the pros and cons.
- Supports Bluetooth and Wireless
- Compatible with all Cricut cartridges
- Smart precise cutting
- Easy to Set up
- Smart dial set for easy material setting
- Hard to adjusting the blade
- Loud during work
- A little bit pricey machine
- Hard to create your own designs
Sizzix 660425 Big Shot Machine
Another great machine by Sizzix is their 660425 Big Shot Unit. It is the ideal tool for both beginners and experts. You can cut and emboss different materials up to 6’’ wide. This machine is compatible with any product in the Sizzix library including Framelits die, Textured Impressions, Bigz, Thinlits and much more.
If you order this product, you will get a machine that weighs 7.5 pounds, a multipurpose platform and cutting pads. You also get a 1-year limited warranty. However, you can always register your machine for 2 years additional on their official website. Now, let’s check the most important pros & cons of this unit.
- Easy to use for beginners
- Amazing price
- Works really fast
- Relatively small
- Well cutting through more materials at once
- Extremely precise cutting
- Can be used with lots of different materials
- Motorized cutting
- Durability is not so good
- Produce a lot of noise while working
- Limited accessories
- It’s heavier than it looks
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine
(Best Vinyl and Fabric Cutting Machine)
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Machine is one of the most popular, best-selling machines for 2020 and comes with many useful features. It can cut different materials from vinyl to fabric. Other advanced features include a responsive touchscreen, a handy on-unit cross cutter, and built-in accessory storage.
If you want to print and cut images and designs from your home printer precisely and quickly, I suggest that you order this machine. It is ideal for making stickers, printed iron-on and so on. A 12’’ cutting mat is also included in the purchase along with 100 preloaded designs. Before you buy, let’s review the cons.
- Excellent user guide
- Available spare parts
- The wide availability of resources
- The print and cut capability
- Supports other vinyl cutting software
- Easy to use
- Cuts thin materials only
- Not enough cutting force
- The free software version is limited
- Not accurate on smaller cuts
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool
(Best Computerized Fabric Cutting Machine)
Looking for a super versatile cutting tool that will help you make intricate projects of different sizes from small to large? If yes, look no further than the Silhouette cameo electronic cutting tool with an unlimited cutting length. You can cut cardstock, paper, fabric, vinyl and other fabrics with or without a cutting mat.
Also, you can replace the blade with a pen and sketch instead of cut. Thanks to this ability, you can make and cut designs that have been printed on your home printer. You can control your device from your PC. If you buy this machine, you will get 12 inches cutting mat, cutting blade, 50 exclusive cuttable designs.
- Ability to draw
- Easy portable
- Not require expensive dies for cutting different shapes
- Uses a sharp adjustable blade
- The software allows you to recognize your own design
- Unable to cut through sheet metal and leather
- Not good for hard materials
- Can’t pierce, engrave or emboss
Silhouette Portrait 2
Another popular model by Silhouette is their Portrait 2 – the ultimate DIY cutting machine with a large cutting space. It is the most versatile machine out there because it can cut plenty of materials including cardstock, fabric, heat transfer materials, transparencies, vellum, adhesive vinyl, magnet paper or paper.
But here is the kicker. You can complete two tasks in one pass with its dual-carriage. And you can pair it with your smartphone, tablet or computer. This unit is the compact, lighter version of Silhouette Cameo electronic machine. You can download thousands of designs from their online store or create your own.
- Small and powerful machine
- Easy to store or transport
- Cuts long and thick materials
- Easy to use software
- Silhouette design software works offline
- Automatically adjusting blade feature
- Bluetooth allows you to cut wirelessly
- Works quietly
- Limited cutting width
- No free advanced design software features
- Cutting force is limited to 210 grams
- Doesn’t cut cleanly with some materials
- No storage compartments for accessories
Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
Silhouette Cameo 3 is the ultimate machine and one of the most popular by this brand. It can cut over 100 materials. It uses a small blade. This machine has the ability to register and cut printed material and it PixScan compatible. Also, you get a super large cutting space and a versatile and high-quality machine.
You can connect your machine with your tablet, smartphone or computer. It also has dual-carriage for multi-tasking and can cut thick materials (higher 2mm clearance). If you want a unit that offers wireless cutting and matless cutting capability, this machine is perfect for you. It also has tools and blade storage.
- Nice design with extra storage
- Responsive and easy to use the touchscreen
- Dual carriage lets you cut & sketch at the same time
- Best Silhouette for cutting through thick materials
- Cuts lined materials up to 10 feet long
- 100 free designs
- The best software in the industry
- Cuts a variety of materials
- Weak cutter with only 210
- Heavier and larger than the Cameo 2
- Doesn’t cut as quickly or accurately as similarly priced products
- A little bit louder
- Steep learning curve
Sizzix Big Shot Plus Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
(Best Manual Fabric Cutting Machine)
As you can notice, Sizzix has some of the best fabric cutting units on the market and their Big Shot Plus Manual Die cutting and embossing machine is not an exception. It is perfect for beginners, experts, and intermediate users. You can easily cut plus-sized dies thanks to the 9’’ opening and larger shapes (3-D).
This machine is compatible with the whole Sizzix product library including Thinlits, Bigz, Framelits die or Textured Impressions. However, it is not compatible with Bigz Pro dies. If you order this unit, you receive a big shot plus machine, platform, adapter A & B, a pair of cutting pads and a one-year limited warranty.
- Simple and comfortable to use
- Good portability also includes a handle for carrying
- Works perfectly with a wide range of materials
- Compatible with almost the entire Sizzix die collection
- Includes adapters and cutting pads
- Not compatible with the Bigz Pro dies
- Extra cost incurred with having to purchase dies
- Only being able to use premade dies
Cricut Expression 1 Electronic Cutting Machine
Another great product by Cricut that will blow you away is their expression 1 electronic unit that cuts from a small 0.25’’ up to large 23.5’’ and has 6 modes and 4 functions for better customization of cuts. This is not your traditional die-cutting machine. It is super portable, cuts accurately, easily and quickly.
It works with Cricut craft room, no Cricut cartridges included and a 12’’ inches cutting mat is included in the purchase. However, make sure to review the main pros and cons before you make your final order.
- Equipped with six modes and four functions
- Completely customizable
- Cuts quickly and efficiently
- Portable design
- Comes with a 12’’ x 12’’ cutting mat
- Works with Cricut Craft Room
- No cartridges included with purchase
- Problems with the sticky mat
- Not compatible with other cartridges
Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting And Embossing Machine
(Best Home Fabric Cutting Machine)
The Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting and Embossing Machine is the cutest machine that I have ever seen in my life. However, besides good looks, this machine has many other advantages. It is portable, versatile and cuts different materials. It is the only unit that can emboss and deliver clean, crisp and deeper cuts.
It is compatible with the whole line of Cuttlebug embossing folders and cutting dies. However, it works with other popular dies and folders as well. You can use it to cut and emboss materials like tissue paper, acetate ribbon, foils, thin leather and much more. It comes with 2 metal dies and 1 A2 embossing folder.
- Able to cut a wide range of materials
- Easy to use
- Professional cutting results
- Can simultaneously cut and emboss
- It works well with other folders and arrays
- Durable machine with good quality
- The pressure level is not high enough
- The instructions in the user manual are not very clear
- Cutting issues during embossing
- Bad suction on uneven surfaces
- C plate adapter not included
Sizzix Sidekick Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
(Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Beginners)
Looking for a portable, adorable and affordable die-cutting and embossing machine? If yes, I have just the product for you. It is the Sidekick Manual die-cutting and embossing crafting system by Sizzix. It is a lightweight and portable machine made for wafer-thin dies & embossing folders up to 2 ½ inches wide.
It has a vacuum seal to hold it securely to your work surface. It is compatible with Framelits and Thinlits dies and Textured impressions small-sized embossing folders. If you purchase this product, you will get 7 stamps, a one-year warranty, 6 Framelits dies, embossing pad, 2 thinlits dies, a booklet and much more.
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Includes cutting plates
- Compatible with most Sizzix dies
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- Comes with lots of accessories
- Can cut only some types of materials
- The limited size of the dies
- Very small
Brother SDX125E Cutting Machine
(Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Applique)
Brother SDX125E cutting machine has blade sensor technology, cuts up to 3mm thickness with the auto blade without blade adjustment or material selection required. Always make a test cut in order to create a successful cut. Also, material compatibility differs. You also get on-screen editing and detailed designs.
You can edit your designs fast and east on the LCD touchscreen display. This unit comes with 9 lettering fonts, 682 built-in designs, and 100 quilt patterns. It delivers detailed work for advanced users. Wireless network ready workhorse that you do not want to miss with a maximum scanning width of 11.7 inches.
- Can be used for cutting, drawing, embossing and foiling
- Contain integrated scanner and its different features
- The support of SVG files
- Blade sensor technology
- The possibility of use of vinyl rolls
- Can be used without a computer
- Designs can be edited directly on the screen
- Not possible to use mats from other machines
- Too expensive machine
- Limited cutting space for larger projects
Spellbinders PL-001 Platinum Cut & Emboss Machine
Made with creative versatility in mind, this cutting machine is the latest invention of this popular brand.
It provides unsurpassed power and cutting pressure and you can use it to cut over 40 different materials up to 8.5’’ wide and as many as 6-8 layers thick in one pass. It has solid steel core portable construction.
You can cut balsa wood, chipboard, craft metal, leather, wool, and other heavy materials. Spellbinders machine can be used with regular etched dies/wafer-thin, texture plates, embossing folders & contour steel rule dies. But before you make your order, make sure that you check the important pros and cons.
- Wide Range Material Utilization
- Smooth Operation
- Sophisticated Design
- Industrial Strength Materials
- Suitable for cutting a variety of materials
- Can cut up to 8 layers at once
- Heavy and Bulky
- Limited to Material Sizes
- You need to use shims with cutting blades
Hercules HRK-100 5-Speed Electric Rotary Fabric Cutter
(Best Electric Fabric Cutting Machine)
If you prefer a rotary fabric cutter over a cutting machine, the Hercules HRK-100 electric rotary cutter is perfect for you. It comes with 5-speeds and cuts leather and multiple layers of fabric and cloth with ease in record time. This cutter features a 4-inch high-speed octagonal blade and a built-in sharpening stone.
The carbide-tipped, octagonal blade and spring-loaded lower blade saves the fabric from sticking. Ideal for light and medium fabrics, loosely knit or woven fabric, this rotary cutter will ensure a smooth, simple cutting experience. You can cut leather, synthetic fiber, cotton, silk, and other fabrics, materials or cloth.
- Works on multiple speeds
- Built-in sharpening stone
- Able to do smooth operations
- Can cut through multiple layers of fabric
- Jam-free design
- Comfortable to hold
- LED light
- Comes with a short cable
- Durability issues
- In some cases, if the blade is not lubricated can damage your material
Mophorn Industrial Fabric Cutting Machine
(Commercial Fabric Cutting Machine)
Morphorn Industrial fabric cutting machine comes with a rotary speed of 2850 RPM, cutting height of 6.3’’ (160 mm)and 8-inch blade size. It is portable, easy to use and transport and works best on light-to medium-weight materials such as knit fabrics or woven. It also has safety mechanisms to keep you safe.
The powerful motor of this workhorse makes the cutting easier, meaning, if you order this machine, it is going to ensure a smooth and effortless cutting just like the rest of the products that I have compared in this buying guide. The best part about this unit is the auto knife-sharpening system and safety features.
- Great durability
- Very good design
- Auto sharpening technology
- Good handle that prevents hand slip
- Build-in powerful and efficient motor
- Ability to cut thick fabrics thanks to a front steel blade
- Not loud while working
- Hard to use for beginners
- In some cases, fabrics can be stuck on the blade
- Cannot be used like heavy-duty product
Gemini CCM GEM-M-USA Die Cutting Embossing Machine
Last but not least, I have the Gemini CCM GEM-M-USA die-cutting and embossing machine with reverse, pause, and resume buttons. It is lighter, faster and much quieter than other die-cutting machines on the market. It is compatible with most thin metal dies. The embossing folder sit has a very big platform size.
Meaning, you can cut multiple dies at once but here is the kicker. It uses higher pressure than most units out there. It comes with everything you need to get started, so it is ideal for both beginners and experts.
It cuts heavyweight cardstock, vinyl foil and a few layers of fabric. This unit also provides edge-to-edge cutting of A4 and also US letter sized materials. However, before you make your purchase, please review the advantages and disadvantages of the Gemini CCM GEM-M-USA die-cutting and embossing machine.
- Works only with one press on the start button
- All Shims Included
- Easy to use motor-driven machine
- Great cutting pressure
- Automatically reject plate if is too thick to cut
- Convenient to carry
- Big cutting area
- Reverse Button
- Shims not wrapped properly
- Accidentally Cut Rubber Mat
- Not compatible with plastic or wooden steel rule dies
- Can’t be used with Flower shaping molds
- Cutting plates durability issues
How to Choose a Fabric Cutting Machine?
When buying a fabric cutting machine, there are different features that you need to consider, including:
This feature is super important because you need to know if you can accommodate your new unit into your crafting station. Fabric cutting machines come in different sizes. The proper size depends on how much space you have and your needs. Usually, manual machines are smaller than electronic machines.
Cutting Fabric Capability
It is important to know how good is your unit at cutting fabric. In order to determine this, you need to check how many layers of fabric can your device handle. What type of fabrics do you normally cut? How often will you need to use your cutting tool and how many layers do you plan to cut in a single passing?
Most cutting machines come with accessories that will help beginners get started with their first project. When choosing a cutting unit, keep this feature in mind. Manual machines include a starter mat and die while electronic units come with built-in designs and mats. Some machines include pattern booklets too.
What can your fabric cutting machine do except cutting fabric? Can you use it for other crafts? Usually, both digital and manual fabric cutting machines can be used to create stickers, paper crafts and a variety of other projects. I personally recommend electronic machines because they offer greater versatility.
How easy is your fabric cutting machine to use? This is important to know, especially if you are a newbie without experience. Make sure that the machine you purchase is user-friendly. I personally recommend manual machines for beginners since do not have electronic features. Choose the machine that matches your skill level. Electronic fabric cutting machines have electronic features, so they are difficult to utilize.
Figure out your budget before you start looking for fabric cutting machines. Never buy the cheapest unit you find but choose the best one that you can afford. Make sure that the machine you buy is quality and super durable. You can probably find a good fabric cutting machine without breaking your bank account.
Types of Fabric Cutting Machine
You can choose between two types of fabric cutting machines: digital and manual. Let’s review some of their features and understand their main differences in order to determine which one is suitable for you.
Digital machines work in a different manner than manual machines. No dies are involved in the process. Also, the unit cuts each line and curve as the fabric slides through the machine. Digital designs serve as a replacement for dies. But the best part about digital cutting machines is unlimited design opportunities.
Many quilters pick digital over manual units because they believe that they are faster and easier to use. However, if you have a complex project, it may take longer to finish it with a digital machine.
I personally recommend digital fabric cutting machines for people who deal with arthritis and other wrist problems.
Manual fabric cutting machines require manual operation. The fabric is situated between the mat and die and you turn the handle to run the fabric through the cutting unit. The die creates the shape of your fabric pieces. Some claim that manual units provide more accurate and precise cuts than a rotary blade.
Also, using a manual fabric cutting machine is a lot safer since you are not handling the blade physically. Manual units do not have many moving components, meaning, they last longer than electronic units. It is also important to remember that they do not require a power source, so you can use them anywhere.
How to Use Fabric Cutting Machine?
Learning how to use a fabric cutting machine depends on the type of machine you own. If you want to learn how to use an electronic fabric cutting machine, follow these easy steps. However, if you have a manual fabric cutting machine and you want to learn how to use it quick and easy, watch this tutorial.
What is the Best Fabric Cutting Machine for Quilting?
AccuQuilt Ready. Set. GO! Ultimate Fabric Cutting System is the best fabric cutting machine for quilting.
It is the ultimate cutting system that saves time and money and provides clean, fine cuts. It includes all you need to start your first quilting project. This machine is 90% faster than scissors and rotary cutters.
It cuts through six layers of fabric like a knife through butter. Also, the safe and easy to use design helps reduce hand strain. You can choose between many design options with a wide range of quilting shapes.
It is perfect for both experts and beginners. It is not compatible with some dies and you get limited dies.
Can You Cut Fabric with a Vinyl Cutter?
Yes, a roll-fed cutter with a servo motor can cut fabric. However, you will need to use fabric with some sort of backing, like what vinyl has. You can use a Cricut mat that has adhesive on it. Stich the fabric to it. It is excellent for small pieces. However, if you want to finish larger projects, this will not work for you.
Do Cricut Machines Cut Fabric?
Yes, cutting fabric on the Cricut Explorer is doable. However, you will have to “bond” the fabric – iron a stabilizer to the back. If you use the Cricut Maker, you can do it without using the stabilizer. Since it uses a rotary blade, you will not have to worry about the blade pulling at the fabric and ruining up your cuts.
Can Sizzix Cut Fabric?
Sizzix dies from the outside of the Quilting and Applique collection can handle fabric. You can cut fabric with the Sizzix fabric cutting machine. Frameluts, Sizzlits die can also cut fabric depending on the fabric.
Can Cuttlebug Cut Fabric?
The Cricut Cuttlebug is a manual old-fashioned, die-cutting machine that allows people to cut accurate and precise shapes from different materials like cardstock, chipboard, paper, fabric, and leather. It is the best manual die cutting machine for fabric. Unfortunately, Cricut decided to discontinue its production.
Will a Silhouette Cameo Cut Fabric?
Silhouette machines can cut fabric when using the fabric interfacing product which is ironed onto your fabric. Afterward, the fabric with the interfacing is put onto a cutting mat with the fabric side facing up.
Does the Cameo 3 Cut Fabric?
Yes, Silhouette Cameo 3 uses a tiny blade to cut over 100 materials including vinyl, cardstock, paper, and fabric up to 12 inches wide. The Silhouette Cameo 3 has the ability to register and cut printed materials.
Cricut vs Silhouette for Fabric
In order to determine which machine is better for fabric, I will compare their versatility. Let’s check their range of materials. However, keep in mind that Silhouette and Cricut cutting machines are not food safe.
- Bamboo fabric
- Aluminum foil
- Acrylic felt
- Burn-out velvet
- Basic cardstock
- Adhesive-backed cardstock
- Crepe-back satin
- Leather (1.4mm, 2mm, and 8mm)
Silhouette Cameo 3
- Cardstock (350 gsm)
- Tissue paper
- Craft foam
- Rhinestone template material
- Super light fabric
- Iron-on transfer
Considering the type of materials each machine is capable of cutting, it is more than clear that the Cricut Maker is the winner. However, if you want a lightweight, portable, easy-peasy unit, choose the Cameo 3. The Cricut Maker is ideal for smaller businesses who want to invest in a long-lasting, flexible cutting unit.
Cutting fabrics is one of the best ways to express your creativity if you love designing, sewing or quilting. And with the help of modern technology, fabric cutting is available for everyone who wants to develop a new set of skills. But choosing the best fabric cutting machine is difficult with so many models out there.
The Cricut Maker is my first choice. It has advanced features and cuts through many materials with ease. If you are on a budget, Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool is the perfect choice for you while Sizzix Sidekick Manual Die Cutting and Embossing Machine is most suitable for beginners without experience.