Crocheting is a rewarding craft and relaxing hobby to learn. You can relax on your sofa and make some cool patterns and pieces. The practice itself doesn't cost much.
And you can crochet on your schedule. However, choosing the best crochet hooks for beginners can be slightly difficult with so many brands and products on the market.
Also, it's one of the most important steps to ensuring enjoyable crocheting and developing your passion for this craft. You can't just purchase any crochet hook and head off.
Some crochet hooks make a better choice for beginners than others. Let's take a look at some of the top crochet hooks out there and pick the one that meets your needs.
- The Parts of a Crochet Hook
- What Are The Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners?
- Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners Comparison Chart
- Top 15 Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners Reviews 2020
- Cornerstone Products Lite Crochet Hooks
- Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook Set
- WooCrafts Crochet Hooks Set with Case
- CLOVER Amour Steel Crochet Hook Set
- Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Best Set for Arthritic Hands
- BCMRUN Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles
- LIHAO Mixed Aluminum Handle Crochet Hooks
- Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set
- Best 12 Crochet Hook Set with Ergonomic Handles
- Embroidex Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- KeNeer Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Set
- Lion Brand Yarn Plastic Crochet Hook
- Dansama Bamboo Dreadlock Crochet Hook
- CHIAOGOO Wooden Tapered Crochet Hook
- Yarniss Ergonomic Crochet Hooks with Case
- Buying Guide: What's the Best Crochet Size for Beginners?
- How to Choose the Best Crochet Hook Material?
- What is the Best Yarn for Beginners?
- My Top Pick
The Parts of a Crochet Hook
Learning this craft and any craft, in general, starts with learning about necessary tools. Although crochet hooks appear simple, they have different parts. Learning about these parts can help you choose the best crochet hooks for beginners. That said, let's learn about crochet hooks.
- Top 40 Best Gifts for Knitters 2020
- Top 15 Best Cotton Yarn Reviews 2020
- Top 15 Best Ergonomic Crochet Hooks To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Knitting Books Reviews 2020
- Top 15 Best Yarn Swift To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Yarn Winder To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Circular Knitting Needles To Buy 2020
Head and Throat
The head of the crochet hook grabs the yarn. The throat is the part just under the head which leads the yarn up the crochet hook. You can pick from 2 types of crochet hooks.
There's a tapered crochet hook featuring a round head that isn't in line with the rest of the parts of the hook. And then there's an inline crochet hook featuring a flatter throat.
Inline crochet hooks make a great tool for creating evenly sized patterns more consistently. Also, thanks to the slightly more pointed head, they pierce tighter stitches more easily.
They also provide greater control over tension. Tapered hooks, on the other hand, make a great choice for people with arthritic hands since they result in less wrist and hand pain.
Also, they help you crochet faster and don't split yarn as often. Which type of crochet hook you choose depends on your project requirements, preferences, and crafting needs.
The shank also known as the shaft is the part under the throat. It's the part of the hook that determines its size and how large the completed stitch will turn out. For instance, if the hook is a size H 8/5.00mm, it means the shank is 5mm in circumference.
Grip and Handle
The grip is the section of the crochet hook where you give your thumb a place to chill. The handle is the end of the hook where you hold it. Make sure the grip is long and smooth.
If it's bumpy and short, it could become hard to work with. Many crocheters who suffer from wrist pain, opt for ergonomic handles with a rubber grip. They're comfortable to use.
What Are The Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners?
Shopping for the best crochet hooks for beginners can turn into your worst nightmare if you don't know where to look. Hopefully, this list of hooks and their highlighted traits can help.
- Best Overall: WooCrafts Crochet Hooks Set with Case
"Best crochet hooks to buy, 9 pieces of large-eye needles, ergonomic handles, various sizes from 2-6mm."
- Best Budget: BCMRUN Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles
"Minimizes wrist and hand pain, soft grip and multicolor handles, budget-friendly, perfect for beginners."
- Best for Knife Grip: Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set
"Made of aluminum, silk coating, affordable, durable, durable, user-friendly, sizes from 3.5mm-6.5mm."
- Best for Pencil-Grip: CLOVER Amour Steel Crochet Hook Set
"Soft grip handle, vibrant crochet hooks, different sizes from 2.25mm-6.00mm, easy color identification."
- Best for Carpal Tunel: Best 12 Crochet Hook Set with Ergonomic Handles
"Best crochet hooks for wrist pain, well-built, comfortable rubber handle, 9 identical sizes, extra tools."
- Best for Left-Handed: KeNeer Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Set
"Compact case, aluminum, color-coded, best crochet hooks for left-handed, sizes from 2.0mm-8.0mm. "
- Best for Arthritic Hands: Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Best Set for Arthritic Hands
"Long shaft and lightweight, smooth hooks, different colors for easy identification, prevent hand injury."
- Best for Chunky Wool: Yarniss Ergonomic Crochet Hooks with Case
"Extra tools included, 14 ergonomic color-coded hooks, best crochet hook for baby blanket, cute case."
- Best for Dreadlocks: Dansama Bamboo Dreadlock Crochet Hook
"A set of 5.5-inch hooks, best crochet hooks for dreads, made of metal and bamboo, gets the job done."
- Best for Dishcloths: Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook Set
"Suitable for different projects, smooth tip, comfortable rubber handle, beautiful pin color, easy to hold."
- Best for Blanket: LIHAO Mixed Aluminum Handle Crochet Hooks
"Well-built, super-versatile, best crochet needle for baby blanket, budget-friendly, made of aluminum."
- Best Ergonomic: Embroidex Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
" 9 sizes of tapered color-coded hooks, made of aluminum, sharp needlepoint, smooth performance."
- Best Bamboo: CHIAOGOO Wooden Tapered Crochet Hook
"25mm all-bamboo hook, best crochet hook for scarf and other projects, made in China, natural color."
- Best Plastic: Lion Brand Yarn Plastic Crochet Hook
"Comfortable, best crochet hooks to use, prevents hand pain, lightweight, no rough edges, durable."
- Best Metal: Cornerstone Products Lite Crochet Hooks
"Great LED light, made of durable plastic and metal, battery-powered, you can replace the batteries."
Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners Comparison Chart
Base your search for the best crochet hooks for beginners on features like brand, material, type, amount per set, and size. Also, pay attention to the handle, shaft, and thumb rest.
Below, you will find some of the best crochet hooks available on the market. Compare their features and select the crochet hooks that meet your crafting needs and requirements.
|BEST CROCHET HOOKS||BRAND||MATERIAL||INLINE/TAPERED||AMOUNT|
|Cornerstone Products Lite Crochet Hooks - Best Metal||Cornerstone||Metal||Tapered||1|
|Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook Set - Best for Dishcloths||Tulip||Aluminum||Hybrid||10|
|WooCrafts Crochet Hooks Set with Case - Best Overall||WooCrafts||Stainless steel||Inline||9|
|CLOVER Amour Steel Crochet Hook Set - Best for Pencil Grip||Clover||Metal||Tapered||7|
|Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Best Set for Arthritic Hands - Best for Arthritic Hands||Athena's Elements||Aluminum||Tapered||12|
|BCMRUN Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles - Best Budget||BCMRUN||Aluminum||Tapered||14|
|LIHAO Mixed Aluminum Handle Crochet Hooks - Best for Blanket||LIHAO||Aluminum||Tapered||22|
|Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set - Best for Knife Grip||Susan Bates||Aluminum||Inline||6|
|Best 12 Crochet Hook Set with Ergonomic Handles - Best for Carpal Tunel||BeCraftee||Aluminum||Hybrid||12|
|Embroidex Ergonomic Crochet Hooks - Best Ergonomic||MINGDI||Aluminum||Tapered||9|
|KeNeer Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Set - Best for Left-Handed||KeNeer||Aluminum||Tapered||12|
|Lion Brand Yarn Plastic Crochet Hook - Best Plastic||Lion Brand Yarn||Plastic||Inline||1|
|Dansama Bamboo Dreadlock Crochet Hook - Best for Dreadlocks||Dansama||Bamboo||Custom||3|
|CHIAOGOO Wooden Tapered Crochet Hook - Best Bamboo||ChiaoGoo||Bamboo||Tapered||1|
|Yarniss Ergonomic Crochet Hooks with Case - Best for Chunky Wool||Yarniss||Aluminum||Tapered||14|
Top 15 Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners Reviews 2020
If you're a beginner looking for the best crochet hooks for beginners, you've come to the right place. The following best crochet hooks reviews can help you pick the right fit for your needs.
Cornerstone Products Lite Crochet Hooks
(Best Metal Crochet Hook)
The crochet hooks by Cornerstone Products makes the perfect choice for crocheters with poor eyesight who prefer dark yarns or working after midnight. They shed light on your projects.
If you buy this product, you will get a pink 4.5mm crochet hook that is easy to use and makes crocheting an enjoyable and fun experience. It's battery operated with a simple on/off switch.
- Top-notch LED light
- Made of durable plastic
- Easy to use
- You can replace the batteries
- High-quality crochet hooks
- Lightweight crochet hook
- The battery doesn’t last much
- The yarn can’t glide smoothly on the shaft
- The light can become too intense
Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook Set
(Best Crochet Hook for Dishcloths)
Tulip is one of the most popular names on the market. This particular set is one of their best-selling ones because it's loaded with 10 crochet hooks. They're comfortable and easy to use.
The throat isn't too deep. The hook's point also keeps your hands fatigue-free. If you're looking for very durable crochet hooks created of aluminum, look no further than the Tulip Etimo.
- Comfortable rubber handle
- Smooth tip of the crochet hook
- Well-made and long-lasting
- Best crochet hooks brand
- The hooks ensure an enjoyable experience
- Best for different projects including dishcloths
- The crochet hooks have a beautiful pink color
- The handle is comfortable and easy to hold
- Affordable crochet hook set
- The markings aren’t long-lasting
- The sizes aren’t presented in letters but mm instead
- The yarn can slide off at any time
WooCrafts Crochet Hooks Set with Case
(Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners)
WooCrafts crochet hooks make the perfect tools for users with hand and wrist pain. They're convenient and versatile. The handle and grip protect hands from being tired.
They also make a great choice for beginners. If you're looking for a beginner set that includes extras and a beautiful case, look no further than WooCrafts crochet hooks set.
- Best crochet hooks to buy
- 9 pieces of large-eye needles
- The sizes range from 2-6mm
- Ergonomic rubber handles
- Best crochet hooks to use
- They’re comfortable and super easy to utilize
- You can utilize the large eye needles for different sewing purposes
- The ergonomic handles prevent hand and wrist pain
- Rough spots on the hook
CLOVER Amour Steel Crochet Hook Set
(Best Crochet Hooks for Pencil Grip)
If you like crocheting, you will love this set. It's a truly amazing set by Clover. If you're new to the knitting and crocheting world, you probably don't know that Clover is a super popular company.
It's one of the best brands on the market. This particular set includes aluminum crochet hooks. The yarn slides easily on the shaft while working. These crocheting tools will last you for a long time.
They're well-built and come in different sizes and colors. Each size features a different handle shade. The different colors enable easy identification. My favorite part is the elastomer rubber handle.
- Soft grip handle
- Vibrant crochet hooks
- Different sizes
- Easy color identification
- The hooks lower stress and prevent fatigue
- You will get 7 tools in different sizes that range from 2.25mm-6.00mm
- You can hold the crochet hooks comfortably
- The yarn glides smoothly
- Shorter handles than expected
- If you don’t prefer the pencil grip, you won’t enjoy these hooks
- The hook isn’t too deep so patterns slip at times
Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Best Set for Arthritic Hands
(Best Crochet Hooks for Arthritis)
If you're looking for a comfortable and ergonomic set of crochet hooks, look no further than this model. This set by Athena's Elements makes a great choice for arthritic hands.
The hooks have silicone handles for additional comfort when you work for a longer period. The needles are made of aluminum while the throat is deep so that it can grab yarns with ease.
The sizes vary from 2 to 8 millimeters. Each tool provides a clean and smooth result on patterns. You will get 12 sizes in different colors for easy organization and identification.
- Standard USA sizes
- Best crochet hooks for hand pain
- Best crochet hooks for arthritic hands
- Well-built and colorful handles
- Long shaft and lightweight
- Smooth hooks
- Different colors for easy identification
- Super easy to use and prevents hand injury
- The set guarantees satisfaction
- Made of aluminum
- The needle and handle slip at times
- The sizes don’t come in letters but mm instead
- You can’t use the round tip for some tasks
BCMRUN Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles
BCMRUN is one of the most affordable sets on the market. It packs crochet hooks in various sizes made of aluminum. You will get sizes from 2mm-10mm in nice colors.
These hooks make the perfect choice for crocheters with poor eyesight who can't read small letters and numbers. The different color enables easy identification and organization.
The set includes 14 crochet hooks you can choose from. They're versatile. With this set, you will receive a different hook for every project in blue, yellow, purple, red, etc.
- A broad selection of sizes
- Convenient to use and easy identification
- Soft-grip and multicolor handles
- Minimize wrist and hand pain
- Perfect choice for beginners
- It prevents fatigue
- It minimizes hand and wrist pain
- It’s perfect for crocheters with arthritic hands
- The smooth hook is great for clean crocheting
- Budget-friendly set
- Wrong sizes on the large hooks
LIHAO Mixed Aluminum Handle Crochet Hooks
(Best Crochet Hook for Blanket)
LIHAO is another popular name on the market. The main goal of this set is to ensure easy crocheting for beginners. It's loaded with a lot of crochet hooks made of aluminum
The set includes 22 different pieces. The best part? They're all made of high-quality material. The design of each hook is ergonomic. Meaning, they're comfortable and easy to use.
If you're looking for sturdy tools made of aluminum that give precise results, look no further than LIHAO mixed set. It's perfect for making hats, sweaters, and other accessories.
- Well-built and long-lasting
- The sizes are marked on the hooks
- Best crochet needle for baby blanket
- Smooth and easy crocheting
- The hooks come in different sizes
- Best crochet hook for baby blanket
- The hooks come in different vibrant colors
- The set makes a wonderful birthday gift
- Made of aluminum
- Shorter handles than expected
Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set
(Best Crochet Hooks for Knife Grip)
Susan Bates provides affordable but decent products. And this particular set is one of those high-quality but budget-friendly products. It includes various sizes from 3.75mm-6.5mm.
Each hook has a different color which makes things easier! The vibrant colors enable easy identification and organization. They're made of aluminum. meaning, they're durable and smooth.
What I like most about these hooks is their smooth surface. It provides accurate results. I also adore the case included in the purchase. It keeps the crochet hooks safe and organized.
- Made of aluminum
- Silk coating
- Different sizes and colors
- You can utilize the set on good weight yarns
- Comfortable and easy to use for beginners
- Sturdy, durable and affordable
- The yarn can easily slip off
Best 12 Crochet Hook Set with Ergonomic Handles
(Best Crochet Hooks for Carpal Tunel)
Another set that is worth your attention and money is this one because it includes 12 different sizes with ergonomic handles. It's perfect for arthritic hands and prevents hand pain.
Each hook is made of aluminum and features a rubber handle to boost comfort. They're all comfortable, long-lasting, well-built, and easy to use. Meaning, they're perfect for beginners.
The rubber handles remove and reduce cramps on the hands while the tips offer a smooth surface and feature a deep throat. The deep throat ensures that your yarn won't slip.
- The handle lowers fatigue
- Best crochet hooks for wrist pain
- Well-built, long-lasting and user-friendly
- The tips are made of aluminum
- Comfortable rubber handle
- The handle minimizes pain
- You will also get markets, needles, etc
- You will get 9 identical sizes
- The crochet hook slides off at times
Embroidex Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
(Best Crochet Hooks Ergonomic)
Embroidex is another great set of ergonomic crochet hooks that is worth considering when shopping for the best crochet hooks. It includes different sizes from 2mm-6mm.
They're color-coded to make the dimensions visible. Also, the different colors help you identify crochet hooks. They also feature a durable ergonomic rubber handle for extra comfort.
What I love about this set is the handles because they reduce stress and prevent fatigue. I have arthritic hands, so they're perfect for me. They're suitable for many projects.
- Color-coded tools
- 9 sizes of tapered hooks
- High-quality tools made of aluminum
- Long-lasting and well-built
- Sharp needlepoint
- Smooth performance
- Ideal sharp round needlepoint
- Made of top-notch material
- They cause pain after a while
KeNeer Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Set
(Best Crochet Hooks for Left-Handed)
If you prefer aluminum crochet hooks with rubber handles for additional comfort, KeNeer is the perfect option for you. They're just ideal for anyone who's into crocheting.
Made of aluminum and rubber, they prevent fatigue pain on the fingers and wrists. This is important for beginners and people with arthritic hands who want comfortable hooks.
If you choose the wrong tools, it can kill your passion for crocheting. Also, if you're an experienced user and deal with arthritis, the wrong crochet hooks can worsen your condition.
And prevent you from crocheting for hours. This set includes different sizes and colors. The color-coded rubber handles enable easy identification. The set is just perfect for adults.
- Compact case
- Made of aluminum
- Great for small or big woolen
- Color-coded handles
- Reduce wrist pain
- Compact and user-friendly
- Each hook has a different color
- Sizes from 2.0mm-8.0mm
- Easy identification
- The stitch counter doesn’t fit at the end
Lion Brand Yarn Plastic Crochet Hook
(Best Plastic Crochet Hook)
Lion Brand Yarn is one of the most popular names on the market. I included this hook by Lion Brand Yarn because it's plastic and easy to use. It also has a Q shape and doesn't have rough spots, unlike aluminum hooks. If you want a smooth result, opt for this plastic crochet hook.
|Brand:||Lion Brand Yarn|
- Plastic hook
- Comfortable to use
- Prevents hand pain
- Easy outlook
- Well-built and sturdy
- No rough edges
- Shorter handle than expected
- It has a learning curve for beginners
- Expensive for a single crochet hook
Dansama Bamboo Dreadlock Crochet Hook
(Best Crochet Hooks for Dreadlocks)
If you're shopping for crochet hooks for dreadlocks, then this bamboo set by Dansama is the ideal choice for you. If you buy this set, you will get 3 5.5 inch hooks for dreads.
They're created of metal and wood. And they have the power to make your dreads look better. Custom-designed for dreadlocks, these hooks have a soft touch wooden handle.
The Dansama set is just perfect for dread extensions, dreadlocks, and maintaining dreads. It's also cheap and meets your needs. You will notice the size engraved on each hook.
- A set of 3 hooks
- 5-inch hooks for dreads
- Made of metal and bamboo
- Best crochet hooks for dreads
- Easy to use and hold
- Best crochet needle for dreads
- Gets the job done nicely
- Decent quality hooks
- They’re prone to breakage
CHIAOGOO Wooden Tapered Crochet Hook
(Best Crochet Hooks Wood)
If you're looking for a naturally colored bamboo hook that has the size permanently laser-etched, look no further than ChiaoGoo wooden tapered hook.
ChiaoGoo is one of the most popular brands on the market. This particular hook enables enjoyable, fun, and exciting crocheting. You can choose from different sizes.
What I like most about this product is the natural shade. The tapered hook has a precisely situated hold for comfort in the hand. It's perfect for beginners.
- All-bamboo hook
- Best crochet hook for scarf
- Tapered hook in natural color
- Perfect for beginners
- Made in China
- User-friendly 25mm hook
- Ensures an enjoyable experience
- Available in different sizes
- Not as smooth as expected
Yarniss Ergonomic Crochet Hooks with Case
(Best Crochet Hook for Chunky Wool)
Last but not least, Yarniss earned a spot on this list because it provides a set of 14 ergonomic hooks with a case. You will also get extra tools that increase the value of the product.
The reason why I recommend this set is because I believe it's a great crochet starter kit. The comfortable handles eliminate or reduce finger, wrist, and hand pain. It's ideal for arthritis hands.
Although it's highly recommended for beginners, advanced crocheters can find it helpful and exciting as well. It makes a great birthday gift. They're made of metal and come in different sizes.
You will get smooth and long hooks that provide clean and accurate results and prevent snagging yarns. The set includes 14 ergonomic color-coded hooks with markings for identification.
- Extra tools included
- Best crochet hook for baby blanket
- Best crochet hook set for beginners
- 14 ergonomic color-coded hooks
- Markings for identifications
- Great crochet starter kit
- Eliminates hand pain
- Cute case
- Made of metal
- Best crochet hooks for wrist pain
- Travel-friendly and lightweight
- 14 ergonomic hooks
- Material is very sticky
Buying Guide: What's the Best Crochet Size for Beginners?
Crochet hooks come in various forms and sizes. The various size hooks are utilized for different projects. You can make thin lace shawls, chunky blankets, dishcloths, scarfs, etc.
The size of your hook depends on the size yarn you will be utilizing. It's also dependent on the project or stitches you're following. Beginners should utilize a medium size crochet hook.
For instance, a size H (5mm) hook. The crochet hook itself is large enough, allowing beginners to observe the single patterns as they're working. It's also suggested to utilize worsted weight yarn.
This yarn allows you to observe the patterns you make and learn to identify the different patterns. Using a smaller size will make it hard for you to observe single patterns that you make.
And you will struggle to recognize the areas where you need to work the patterns. The extra-large hooks will make loose patterns. Also, you will struggle to recognize the single patterns.
Once you have mastered the craft and you're confident in your skills, you can experiment with different sizes. It's also important to learn the various ways that size is marked on hooks.
This will help you determine the right size for your crocheting needs and projects. Let's take a closer look at some of the ways that size is marked on crochet hooks.
Lettering sizes include letters of the alphabet and the further along with the alphabet you go, the bigger the size of the tool. Q is the largest and B is the smallest.
Number sizing usually corresponds with the lettering sizing. The size B is compatible with the number 1. And it goes on from there. However, they're not always accurate.
The size G is compatible with the size 6 but H is compatible with the size 8 so number 7 isn't compatible with any letter. But again the bigger the number, the bigger the size.
Measuring in millimeters is the best manner to determine the size of crochet hooks. Letter and number sizing differ from company to company. However, millimeter sizing is the same despite the brand which makes it the most accurate and reliable manner of measurement.
How to Choose the Best Crochet Hook Material?
As I already mentioned, crochet hooks come in different sizes. However, they also differ in material. You can choose from a wide selection of materials when it comes to crochet hooks.
It depends on personal preference which material you choose. However, they do have small differences between each other that can make your work easier. Let's review the materials.
Bamboo crochet hooks make a great choice for experienced users. However, they're not recommended for beginners. They're eco-friendly, lightweight and feel warm in your hand.
These features make bamboo crochet hooks perfect for people with arthritic hands and carpal tunnel. If you experience irritation or pain when crocheting, opt for bamboo crochet hooks.
However, keep in mind that bamboo hooks aren't as smooth as aluminum crochet hooks. Meaning, the patterns, and yarn tend to get a bit tangled on the shaft instead of sliding over it.
Aluminum crochet hooks make a great for beginners. They're affordable and easy to use. The yarn slides over the aluminum shaft super smoothly.
The only issue is that this type of hook can become hard and uncomfortable to hold over a longer time. They easily slip out of your hands as well.
Acrylic crochet hooks might appear lovely but they're prone to breakage. They're the best crochet hooks to use. But they have a shorter lifespan than other types of hooks.
Aluminum Hooks with Grips
Lastly, let's talk about aluminum crochet hooks with grips. They have a comfort grip handles. And make a great pick for users who have pain while crocheting.
The aluminum shafts enable the yarn to slide over without any friction. The warm and comfortable grip ensures comfortable crocheting for extended periods.
What is the Best Yarn for Beginners?
Choosing the best crochet hooks for beginners isn't going to make your crocheting experience enjoyable without the best yarn for beginners. What is the best yarn for beginners?
Pay attention to the weight of your yarn. This matters because it determines what size hook you use. For newcomers, a worsted weight yarn is the best choice. Let's learn weights!
- 2.25mm-3.25mm: baby/fingering/sock
- 3.25mm-3.75mm: baby/sport
- 3.75mm-4.5mm: light/worsted/DK
- 4.5mm-5.5mm: afghan/worsted
- 5.5mm-8.0mm: craft/rug/chunky
- 8mm and beyond: roving/bulky
Picking a lighter yarn makes it simpler to crochet as you can observe the patterns more clearly. Choosing dark-colored yarn makes it harder to observe. Additionally, wool or acrylic yarn makes a great option for newbies since they have slight resistance. Let's learn common fibers!
Wool is great for practicing! It's forgiving if you make errors. It's resistant, reusable, and easy to unravel. However, make sure you're not allergic to wool. Otherwise, using wool could result in a bad experience for you. This material is common among both newbies and professionals.
Cotton is slightly harder to utilize than wool. It's inelastic but makes a great choice for certain types of projects. It keeps its shape well and makes a great option for crocheting during the summer. It's lighter than other materials such as wool and doesn't require much practice.
This is the most popular fiber on the market. It's available in different colors. The best part. It's cheap so beginners can buy a bunch of acrylic yarn and practice their crafting skills.
If you're searching for a budget-friendly yarn, then acrylic is the perfect choice for you. However, choose wisely. Some yarns have a tendency to split easily which can be annoying.
My Top Pick
For beginners, WooCrafts makes a great choice. You will get your hooks nicely organized in a lovely case. They're ergonomic and easy to use. And the selection of sizes is wide.
If you're on a budget, opt for BCMRUN, a beginner set of aluminum tools with a soft grip and multicolor handles that minimize hand and wrist pain. KeNeer, on the other hand, is perfect for left-handed people. It packs well-built hooks with rubber handle and additional crocheting tools.
Hopefully, my best crochet hooks reviews can help you select the right product for your needs. Have you had experience with any of the products mentioned in this buying guide?
If so, feel free to share your experience in the comments! I enjoy hearing unpopular opinions on popular products. Also, don't hesitate to contact me for questions and help!