When you think of colored pencils, you think of childhood. However, these days, not only children find a set of colored pencils fun but adults too. Drawing and coloring with pencils is the perfect way to express your creativity. Artists usually use them in their drawings because they provide a range of opportunities.
Most professional sets include a wide selection of stunning colors, however, you can layer them in order to make even more dimension to your work. Today, I will review some of the best-colored pencils on the market available for both pros and beginners. If you want to learn more about these tools, keep reading.
- Which Brand of Colored Pencils Are Best?
- What are the Best Colored Pencils in the World?
- Best Colored Pencils: 30 Best-Selling Colored Pencils in 2020
- 30Best Colored Pencils Reviews 2020 (Beginners to Professional)
- Derwent 32891 72 Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor 150 Colored Pencils Box
- Caran d'Ache Pablo 120 Colored Pencil Set
- Caran D'ache Luminance 40 Colored Pencil Set
- Stabilo CarbOthello 60 Color Pastel Pencil
- Prismacolor Premier Art Stix Woodless 36 Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor 3599TN Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils
- Staedtler Ergosoft 24 Colored Pencils
- ARTEZA 48 Colored Pencils Professional Set
- SUDEE STILE Colored Pencils 150 Unique Colors
- Derwent 24 Colored Pencils
- CREATIVE ART MATERIALS Caran D'ache Luminance 20 Colored Pencil Set
- Egoshop 100 Color Marco Renior Oil Base Colored Pencils Set
- Faber-Castell 110060 Polychromos Artists 120 Color Pencils
- LYRA Rembrandt Polycolor 100 Art Pencils
- Prismacolor Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils
- Prang Thick Core 288 Colored Pencils Master Pack
- Derwent 2301843 72 Colored Pencils
- Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 76 Colored Pencils
- Crayola 36 Premium Quality Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor 3596T Premier 12 Colored Pencils
- Studio Series 30 Colored Pencil Set
- Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set for Coloring Books
- ARTEZA 72 Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor Scholar 48 Colored Pencils
- Crayola 240 Colored Pencils
- Cra-Z-art 72 Colored Pencils
- Holbein Colored Pencils Pastel Tone Set 50 Colors
- Derwent 0701026 12 Colored Pencils
- Castle Art Supplies 120 Colored Pencil Set for artists
- Why Use Colored Pencils?
- Types of Colored Pencils
- Are Colored Pencils Toxic?
- Are Colored Pencils Waterproof?
- Are Colored Pencils Safe on Skin?
- How to Sharpen Colored Pencils?
- Are Colored Pencils Erasable?
- Are Colored Pencils Graphite?
- Can Colored Pencils Be Used On Canvas?
- Can Colored Pencils Be Used On Fabric?
- Can You Bring Colored Pencils On a Plane?
- Arteza Colored Pencils vs Prismacolor
- Colored Pencils vs Color Pencils
- Colored Pencils vs Markers
- Colored Pencils vs Crayons
- Colored Pencils vs Watercolor Pencils
- Colored Pencils vs Map Pencils
- Colored Pencils vs Gel Pens
- Colored Pencils vs Paint
- Colored Pencils vs Pastels
- How To Use Colored Pencils Like a Pro?
- How Many Colored Pencils Do I Need?
- Colored Pencils Techniques
- Colored Pencils Tips
- Final Thoughts
Which Brand of Colored Pencils Are Best?
You can choose between dozens of brands of colored pencils. However, I took the responsibility to make a list of some of the top-recommended brands based on their performance, price, durability, and rating.
Best Brand Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils
- Derwent Coloursoft Pencils
- Caran D'Ache Luminance
- Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils
- Faber-Castell Polychromos
- Crayola colored pencils
- Arteza colored pencils
- Castle art supplies colored pencils
- Castle art colored pencils
- Holbein colored pencils
What are the Best Colored Pencils in the World?
The best-colored pencils are not that difficult to find if you know where to look. I took the responsibility to highlight some of the best sets in order to help you pick the colored pencils that meet your art needs.
- Best Overall: Daren’t 32891 72 Colored Pencils
“Hexagonal barrel, ideal for a long period of use, precise results, break-resistant, ideal for detailed art.”
- Runner Up: Prism color 150 Colored Pencils Box
“Artist-quality tools in a sturdy storage case, soft and thick core, two-blade sharpened, great blending.”
- Best Budget: Castle Art Supplies 120 Colored Pencil Set for artists
“120 colored pencils for artists, smooth application, excellent blending, vibrant colors, reliable, durable.”
- Best for Beginners: Prismacolor Scholar 48 Colored Pencils
“Perfect for practicing your drawing skills, durable packaging, string cores, richly saturated pigment.”
- Best for Blending: Derwent 0701026 12 Colored Pencils
“Smooth blending, soft texture, vibrant color, sturdy core, perfect for bold, dynamic drawing, durable.”
- Best for Professionals: ARTEZA 48 Colored Pencils Professional Set
“Vivid and flexible colors, break-resistant, non-toxic, affordable, superior quality, smooth rich coverage.”
- Best for Coloring Books: Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set for Coloring Books
“Premium colored pencils with erasers, great coverage, richly saturated lightfast pigments, woodless.”
- Best for Realistic Drawing: Stabilo CarbOthello 60 Color Pastel Pencil
“Pastel pencils with intense pigmentation, excellent performance on a thin paper, light-proof, durable.”
- Best for Sketching: SUDEE STILE Colored Pencils 150 Unique Colors
“Vibrant colors with long-lasting pigments, easy sharpening, convenient storage case, smooth coloring.”
- Best for School: Crayola 240 Colored Pencils
“Ideal for toddlers and kids at the age of 4 and up, beautifully organized storage case, pre-sharpened. ”
Best Colored Pencils: 30 Best-Selling Colored Pencils in 2020
Choosing the best-colored pencils can be difficult with so many sets out there. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preference. However, to get you started on the right path, I have identified, reviewed and compared some highly-recommended sets available out there. So, without further ado, let's get started.
- Top 18 Best Fabric Markers Reviews 2021
- 28 Best Paint Brushes For Acrylic Painting 2021 - Top Brands
- 20 Best Oil Paint Brushes Reviews 2021
- 18 Best Oil Paints For Beginners & Professionals 2020
- Top 15 Best Oil Pastels Reviews 2020
- Top 20 Best Watercolor Pencils Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Top 19 Best Art Markers Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
- Top 19 Best Acrylic Paint Reviews 2020 (Recommended)
|BEST COLORED PENCILS||CORE||LEAD||STORAGE CASE||AMOUNT PER SET|
|Daren’t 32891 72 Colored Pencils – Best Overall||Soft||Break-resistant||Wooden case||72|
|Prismcolor 150 Colored Pencils Box – Runner Up||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||150|
|Caran d'Ache Pablo 120 Colored Pencil Set||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||120|
|Caran D'ache Luminance 40 Colored Pencil Set||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||40|
|Stabilo CarbOthello 60 Color Pastel Pencil – Best Colored Pencils for Realistic Drawing||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||60|
|Prismacolor Premier Art Stix Woodless 36 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||36|
|Prismacolor 3599TN Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin box||72|
|Staedtler Ergosoft 24 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard plastic stand up box||24|
|ARTEZA 48 Colored Pencils Professional Set – Best Colored Pencils for Professional Artists||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal storage case||48|
|SUDEE STILE Colored Pencils 150 Unique Colors – Best Colored Pencils for Sketching||Soft||Break-resistant||Delicate carton||150|
|Derwent 24 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin box||24|
|CREATIVE ART MATERIALS Caran D'ache Luminance 20 Colored Pencil Set – Best Colored Pencils for Art||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard box||20|
|Egoshop 100 Color Marco Renior Oil Base Colored Pencils Set – Best Colored Pencils for Adults||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||100|
|Faber-Castell 110060 Polychromos Artists 120 Color Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||120|
|LYRA Rembrandt Polycolor 100 Art Pencils – Best Colored Pencils for Wood||Soft||Break-resistant||Wooden case||100|
|Prismacolor Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||72|
|Prang Thick Core 288 Colored Pencils Master Pack||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||288|
|Derwent 2301843 72 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||72|
|Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 76 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||76|
|Crayola 36 Premium Quality Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Regular paper case||36|
|Prismacolor 3596T Premier 12 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin box||12|
|Studio Series 30 Colored Pencil Set||Soft||Break-resistant||Plastic transparent case||30|
|Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set for Coloring Books – Best Colored Pencils for Coloring Books||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||72|
|ARTEZA 72 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||72|
|Prismacolor Scholar 48 Colored Pencils – Best Colored Pencils for Beginners||Soft||Break-resistant||Plastic transparent case||48|
|Crayola 240 Colored Pencils – Best Colored Pencils for School||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||240|
|Cra-Z-art 72 Colored Pencils||Soft||Break-resistant||Regular paper case||72|
|Holbein Colored Pencils Pastel Tone Set 50 Colors||Soft||Break-resistant||Hard cardboard case||50|
|Derwent 0701026 12 Colored Pencils – Best Colored Pencils for Blending||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||12|
|Castle Art Supplies 120 Colored Pencil Set for artists – Best Budget||Soft||Break-resistant||Metal tin case||120|
30Best Colored Pencils Reviews 2020 (Beginners to Professional)
In order to choose the most suitable coloring pencils for your needs, you have to learn the main types of these tools. They include oil-based, water-soluble and wax-based. However, that is not all.
You also have to learn the type of core and other key features that I have listed in my buyer’s guide below the reviews.
Make sure to check them out before you dive into my detailed description of each set that I have stated in my comparison chart above. Also, check their important pros and cons before you purchase THE ONE.
Derwent 32891 72 Colored Pencils
(Best Colored Pencils in the World)
Derwent colored pencils are one of the most popular pencils on the market. They are break-resistant, easy to sharpen and make the perfect tool for a long period of use. Derwent colored pencils have 3.4mm core and hexagonal barrel, meaning they offer precision for detailed work. Also, they are water-soluble. If you buy this set you will get a set of 72 colors that transfer to paper fast due to a softer formulation.
This helps with layering and blending, forming a wide range of effects from delicate watercolor washes to bold colors. However, the pigment is not permanent, so you can use water to adjust and move colors, even when dry. For the best results, make sure to combine them with other tools from the same brand.
- Best colored pencils for portraits
- 3mm core and hexagonal barrel
- Perfect tools for a long period of use
- They offer precision for detailed work
- Break-resistant, popular pencils
- Ideal for layering and blending
- Traveling with them is that easy
Prismacolor 150 Colored Pencils Box
Next, I have a Prismacolor colored pencil set that provides 150 artist-quality tools in a sturdy case. The case folds open in order to display the pencils while in use. If you want colored pencils with a softcore that will last for a long time and blend perfectly, this is the perfect set of colored pencils for you to buy.
You will also get a 2-blade sharpener with 2 different blades. One is for the wide point, while the other is for the fine point. The best part? The set includes a nicely sharped eraser in a triangular shape. It is ideal for larger places and details. It is perfect for beginners and pros who want to express their creative side.
- 150 artist-quality tools in a sturdy case
- A soft and thick core that will last for a long time
- The colors blend perfectly and come with a 2-blade sharpener
- Perfect for beginners and experts
- Ideal for large spots and details
- Some buyers received a wrong type of set
- The pencils break when you sharpen them
- Low-quality set according to some buyers
Caran d'Ache Pablo 120 Colored Pencil Set
Another amazing set that is worth your attention is Caran d'Ache Pablo colored pencil set. If you want a set of water-resistant, soft and creamy colored pencils, this set is for you. You will get 120 pencils, ideal for shading & mixed media with 3.7mm leads, a superb lightfastness, and an impressive covering power.
- Water-resistant, soft and creamy
- 120 pencils that are perfect for shading and mixed media
- Superb lightfastness and a great covering power
- Poor quality color on multiple pencils
- Some buyers did not receive the booklet
- Some buyers did not like the storage case
Caran D'ache Luminance 40 Colored Pencil Set
Caran D’ache Luminance colored pencil set is a mixture of the comfortable permanent lead and highest lightfastness. Every color has been made with finely-ground pigments chosen for their resistance to UV, intensity, and purity. These colored pencils can be layered, brushed and blended on different surfaces.
If you want a complete set of 40 colored pencils made of California Cedar from managed forests, this set is for you. The smoothness of the leads requires the use of a well-sharpened sharpener. However, what is most important is the colored caps that indicate the color of the pencil lead. Now, let’s check the cons.
- They can be layered and blended on different surfaces
- The comfortable permanent lead and highest lightfastness
- Each color has been made with finely-ground pigments
- Lack of color ranges
- Some buyers say that they do not provide enough coverage
- Overpriced and scratchy on the paper
Stabilo CarbOthello 60 Color Pastel Pencil
(Best Colored Pencils for Realistic Drawing)
If you are looking for a set of pastel pencils with intense pigmentation, this set is the best choice for you.
They perform great on a thin paper and strong color gradations in application. What I love most about these pencils is that they are non-toxic, blendable, partially soluble, and light-proof.
However, a fixative is suggested on finished pieces. The lead is 4.4mm in diameter. You will get 60 impressive vibrant colors.
These pastel pencils make a perfect tool for both realistic drawing and coloring for commercial and fine artists. However, make sure to check the main pros and cons of this set before you make your purchase.
- Best colored pencils for drawing
- Pastel pencils with intense pigmentation
- They perform great on a thin paper and strong color gradations in application
- Non-toxic, blendable, partially soluble, and light-proof
- 60 impressive colors for coloring and drawing
- Ideal for commercial and fine artists
- Some users claim that they break easily
- Some buyers say that it is a poor-quality set
- Some buyers received a broken product
Prismacolor Premier Art Stix Woodless 36 Colored Pencils
Prismacolor premier woodless colored pencils have soft and thick cores but no wooded case. This helps you lay down thick layers very fast and supple blends. But here is the kicker. This set of colored pencils is favorite among beginners and experts because it does not need sharpening and is easy to use and blend.
You can use them dull to cover larger areas or sharpen them for details. If you want 0.25-inch leads that deliver amazing coverage and have richly saturated lightfast pigments that help you create timeless arts, look no further than this set. You will get 36 premium coloring book pencils that will boost your artwork.
- Best colored pencils with erasers
- 36 premium coloring book pencils
- Amazing coverage and richly saturated lightfast pigments
- Woodless colored pencils with soft and thick cores
- It never requires sharpening and can be used dull
- It is liked by both beginners and pros
- The seller is not honest about the price
- Bad smell and performance according to some buyers
- The erasers fall apart with minimal rubbing
Prismacolor 3599TN Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils
Another impressive set of premium colored pencils by Prismacolor is the Premier Colored Pencils. It has 72 colored pencils with thick, soft cores that are great for shading, layering, and blending. However, the best part about these pencils is that they last long thanks to the robust, thick leads that resist cracking.
So, if you want break-resistant, beautiful colorful pencils that will take your game up, this set is ideal for you. However, let’s check out the most important pros and cons of this set before you make your order.
- An impressive set of 72 premium colored pencils
- Thick and soft cored that are perfect for blending, shading, and layering
- Break-resistant, beautiful pencils that were built to last
- The core consistency is varied
Staedtler Ergosoft 24 Colored Pencils
Staedtler Ergosoft colored pencils include 24 coloring tools with a triangular ergonomic shape and a nice non-slip surface for fatigue-free drawing and coloring. The especially richly, soft-colored lead features a white protective coating that boosts the core and increases break-resistance. The wood that these tools are made to come from certified sustainable managed forests. Before you buy it, please review the cons.
- Nice non-slip surface for fatigue-free drawing and coloring
- Break-resistant, richly and soft-colored lead with a white protective coating
- They were made of certified sustainable managed forests
- Poor color selection
- Cores are super tiny
- They require constant sharpening
- Difficult to sharpen
ARTEZA 48 Colored Pencils Professional Set
(Best Colored Pencils for Professional Artists)
Arteza colored pencils professional is a superior quality but affordable set. Why spend a bunch of cash on over-priced pencils, when you can buy a professional quality set that costs less than other brands out there. Layer and blend like a pro with this popular set by Arteza. If you buy it, you will get 48 nice colors.
They blend nicely and layer easily. I promise you that you will be stunned by their deep, smooth and rich coverage. They glide smoothly across your paper. However, the best part about these tools is their vivid, flexible colors. Instead of settling for boring and dull pencils, buy this set of saturated and brilliant ones.
Each pencil is easy to identify thanks to the colored caps. If you want a long-lasting set of colored pencils that will not break easily and have sturdy cores, this product is for you. But here is the kicker. They come in a nice metal storage box and do not contain any toxins. Now, let’s summarize the main pros and cons.
- Vivid and flexible colors
- Break-resistant and non-toxic
- Superior quality at an affordable price
- It allows you to blend and layer like a pro
- Deep, smooth and rich coverage
- Colored pencils high quality
- Nice metal storage case
SUDEE STILE Colored Pencils 150 Unique Colors
(Best Colored Pencils for Sketching)
SUDEE stile colored pencils unique colors are a set of vibrant smooth shades with long-lasting pigments and quality lead. If you want pencils for adult drawing, sketching and more with 3.3mm sturdy leads, this set is for you. These pencils deliver uninterrupted smooth coloring feeling and a bold lead for easier use.
However, the best part about these tools is easy sharpening, convenient storage, and customer service. Meaning, if you have some problems with your set, contact them for help. Let’s summarize the pros and cons of this impressive set of unique and stunning colored pencils before you make your final purchase.
- Unique, vibrant and smooth colors with long-lasting pigments
- Easy sharpening, convenient storage, and great customer service
- Uninterrupted smooth coloring feeling and a bold lead for easy use
- They are not sorted by color
- The light shades are too light
- Strong, petroleum jelly smell
Derwent 24 Colored Pencils
Searching for a set of colored pencils with vibrant color and a 4mm softcore? If yes, look no further than Derwent 24 colored pencils. As stated in the name of this set, it includes 24 colors with velvety softcore that boost the richness of each shade. They are perfect for building up colorfast and offer great results.
These pencils are easy to use and have a break-resistant core that allows you to sharpen them to a fine point. Keep in mind that for the best results, you should combine this set with other Derwent products.
- Amazing results
- Vibrant color and 4mm softcore
- The velvety core boosts the richness of every color
- The pencils are great for building up fast
- Poor color saturation
- They do not hold a sharp point for very long
- The flimsy plastic tray inside
CREATIVE ART MATERIALS Caran D'ache Luminance 20 Colored Pencil Set
(Best Colored Pencils for Art)
Creative art materials Caran D’ache luminance colored pencils are a mix of a comfortable permanent lead and the highest lightfastness. Each color has been created with finely-ground pigments selected by their resistance to UV, intensity, and purity. They might be layered, burnished and blended on surfaces.
You can use these pencils on many surfaces. Their casing is created by California Cedar from managed forests. Thanks to the smoothness of the leads, they require the use of a well-sharpened sharpener. If you want colored pencils with colored pencil caps for easy identification, purchase these immediately.
- Best colored pencils for artists
- Perfect for layering and blending
- The comfortable permanent lead and the highest lightfastness
- Each shade has been created with finely-ground pigments
- Easy color identification
- Not smooth as described but more like pastel colors
Egoshop 100 Color Marco Renior Oil Base Colored Pencils Set
(Best Colored Pencils for Adults)
Looking for artist-grade colored pencils in various colors that make a decent coloring tool for artists at any level? If yes, look no further than Egosho Marco Renior Oil Base Colored Pencils set of 100 coloring tools. They have soft, thick 3.7mm leads that make drawing and coloring smooth, pleasant and simple.
The part I like the best about this set is that it is made of environmentally friendly materials. Meaning, this set is harmless to your health and completely safe for adults, children and pregnant women. These colors come in a portable storage tin case. Also, they make a nice gift for that aspiring artist in your life.
- Artist-grade colored pencils in 100 colors
- Soft and thick 3.7mm leads for a smooth coloring
- Made from environmental-friendly materials
- Ideal for kids, adults and pregnant women
- They come in a portable metal tin case
- They break after sharpening
- Defective core
Faber-Castell 110060 Polychromos Artists 120 Color Pencils
Faber-Castell Polychromos Artists color pencils is a set of 120 colors in a metal tin box including all the necessary colors to get you started. This set is perfect for both professionals and semi-professionals. It delivers unsurpassed quality because of the polychromatic pencils with oil-based, break-resistant leads.
Unsurpassed lightfastness, Faber-castell quality materials, and smooth, buttery color laydown are some of the amazing features that this set has to offer. Fiber-Castell has delivered premium quality materials since 1761, meaning they bring experience to the table and you can trust their coloring sets completely.
- Metal tin box
- Ideal for both pros and semi-pros
- Polychromos pencils with oil-based leads
- Break-resistant, premium quality tools
- Unsurpassed lightfastness
LYRA Rembrandt Polycolor 100 Art Pencils
(Best Colored Pencils for Wood)
LYRA Rembrandt Polycolor art pencils is a set of 100 coloring and drawing tools for professional, serious artists. This set is popular among architects, designers, graphic artists and artists due to their top-quality tools and a wide range of vibrant colors. It allows them to explore their creativity and upgrade their arts.
This set includes 68assorted poly color colored pencils, 2 paper wipers, a kneadable eraser, a knife, ten poly color grey shades, a sandpaper block & 22 Rembrandt drawing tools. If you want to create fine and exact contours, delicate merges and amazingly colored areas, this set is perfect for you. You can use this set on different surfaces including fabric, wood and synthetic materials. Now, let’s summarize the cons.
- Best colored pencils for architects
- Polycolor colored papers with accessories
- You can use them on wood, fabric, and synthetic materials
- Popular among designers and architects
- Perfect for professional, serious artists
- They break easily
- Hard to blend
Prismacolor Premier Soft Core 72 Colored Pencils
As you can notice from my colored pencils reviews, Prismacolor has some of the best pencils out there. And their Premium Soft Core set of 72 colored tools is one of them. It is perfectly accurate & precise art. If you want pencils with pigments of unmatched quality and thick, durable leads, this set is ideal for you.
They are ideal for layering, shading, and blending. You can make delicate blends, smooth shadows, and forceful lines thanks to the softcore. Lightfastness, smooth and even coverage, richly saturated pigment, and break-resistant leads are some of the few incredible features that this product has to offer to artists.
- The perfect set for precise and accurate art
- Unmatched pigment quality and thick, durable leads
- Ideal for shading, layering, delicate blends, smooth shadows, and forceful lines
- Lightfastness, break-resistance, smooth coverage
- Richly saturated pigment
- Very brittle and crack easily
- Time-consuming sharpening
- They break under pressure
Prang Thick Core 288 Colored Pencils Master Pack
Prang Thick Core colored pencils master pack is a product by Ptang Art and Craft solutions with a great reputation on the market since 1882. This particular set offers a wide range of colors with a rich 3.3mm core protected by real wood. It delivers unmatched smoothness in the laydown if that matters to you.
Thanks to the intense pigments, your creative dreams and ideas will finally come to light. Order this set if you want to bring life to your projects and reflect your uniqueness. This master set is all that you need to get started. The pencils are pre-sharpened and ready to use. Also, they are non-toxic and AP certified.
- Great reputation on the market since 1882
- A wide range of colors with rich 3.3mm core protected by a real wood
- It delivers unmatched smoothness in the laydown
- Intense pigments, break-resistant, non-toxic
- They come pre-sharpened and ready to use
- Limited color range compared to other brands
Derwent 2301843 72 Colored Pencils
Derwent has some of the best-colored pencils on the market as well. It delivers vibrant, smooth, water-soluble shades that can be applied to different surfaces including cotton, silk, and paper. Where you will use them is up to you, your vision, and your personal preference. Adjust the use to match your projects.
This set includes 72 colors that can be used dry for expressive drawings and washed out with water for a translucent but bright ink-like effect. They make the perfect tool for layering and dry quickly. This resists bleeding. Also, for the best results, you should use other Derwent products. Now, let’s review the cons.
- Vibrant, smooth and water-soluble shades
- They can be applied to many surfaces including cotton, silk, and paper
- The perfect tool for layering and dry quickly
- Hard to get the most vibrant colors
- The color cap does not match the actual color
- Not lightfast when you apply water
Caran d'Ache Luminance 6901 76 Colored Pencils
Next, I have another product by Caran d’Ache – Luminance set of colored pencils. I am talking about a 78 piece assortment of colors that can be blended and layered for different impressive effects. I personally recommend it because of the smoothness, high lightfastness, Swiss quality, and versatility. The pigments were picked for resistance to UV, purity, and intensity. Now, let’s check the cons before your final order.
- 78 piece assortment of colors for blending and layering
- The pigments are picked for UV resistance and intensity
- Smooth, high lightfastness, Swiss quality, and versatility
- They break easily
- Not worth the high price
- They are scratchy
If you are looking for trusted quality, Crayola is your best choice. Their goal is to make amazing sets in order to boost creativity in both adults and children. Their products are made for helping educators and parents to raise creative kids who will turn into passionate good adults who know what they want in life.
This particular set contains 36 pencils that are perfect for detail work and school projects. This set is just perfect for kids. They can use it for everything including coloring in maps, history classes and so on. They are pre-sharpened long tools with durable, strong and break-resistant leads. Now, let’s review the cons.
- Trusted quality brand
- Break-resistant, durable and strong leads
- Made for helping educators and parents to raise creative kids
- You can use it for coloring in maps, history class and so on
- Ideal for detail work and school projects
- They come pre-sharpened
- They constantly break when sharpened
- Some buyers received a damaged product
- Some customers reported missing pencils
Prismacolor 3596T Premier 12 Colored Pencils
Prismacolor 3596T premier 12 colored pencils will bring your ideas and artistic vision to life. They offer a set of 12 vibrant and beautiful colors that will bring up your game. No matter if you are a professional or a beginner, you will love this set for its simplicity, layering, shading, blending, softcore, and much more.
These pencils deliver unmatched quality and break-resistant leads that will stay by your side forever. If a set of pencils that provide smooth and even coverage, richly saturated pigments, lightfastness, thick and durable leads, and vibrant colors, buy this set instantly. I promise that you will not regret your purchase.
- Vibrant colors
- Ideal for both pros and beginners
- Softcore that is perfect for blending, shading, and layering
- Unmatched quality and break-resistant leads
- Smooth and even coverage
- Richly saturated pigments
- Hard to dial down tone
- Ugly wax bloom forms quickly
- Leads will break when sharpening
- Colors are almost TOO vibrant in cases
- Leaves white of the paper showing a LOT even when it has been burnished
- Wax bloom not easy to remove
- Difficult to control, too creamy
Studio Series 30 Colored Pencil Set
Studio Series is another brand that deserves a spot on my colored pencils reviews. Their colored pencils set includes 30 vibrant colors that deliver rich and even coverage. However, that is not all that this set has to offer. It also includes durable and thick leads that resist breaking, lightfastness and rich pigments.
If you want to realize your creative dreams and goals, this is the set that you should buy without second thoughts. It will bring your sketches and illustrations to life without a doubt. These colors are perfect for blending, layering, and shading. However, read their pros and cons before you make your final purchase.
- Vibrant colors with durable, thick leads
- Break-resistant, lightfastness and rich pigments
- Ideal for blending, layering, and shading
- Too big pencils
- Feel clumsy in hands
- Crumble when sharpened
- The core easily breaks
- Not named
Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set for Coloring Books
(Best Colored Pencils for Coloring Books)
Castle Art Supplies Colored Pencils set for coloring books has a brand new and improved artist quality. It rivals the famous brands for high pigment, color selection, and value for money. Looking for a cheap and high-quality set of colored pencils that comes in a tin box? If yes, look no further than this great product.
It is perfect for school supplies, budding artists and professionals. The core is strong and reliable which is a big plus. It makes this set suitable for drawing, doodling, sketching, and coloring. Order this set today if you want to complete your next project with confidence. Please check the important pros and cons first.
- Colored pencils artist quality
- High pigment, color selection, and value for money
- Ideal for school supplies, budding artists and professionals
- Strong and reliable core which makes them perfect for doodling, sketching, and drawing
- A cheap and high-quality set of colored pencils
- The color cap does not match the actual color
- Strong acrylic paint smell when first opening the case
- The leads break and crumble when sharpening
ARTEZA 72 Colored Pencils
Another professional set by Arteza that will blow you away is their set of 72 colored pencils with a great price and superior quality. Why buy a set that will break your bank account when you can order this one and save money? The price does not affect the performance of this set. It allows you to blend like a pro.
It also allows you to layer like a pro. You will be stunned by the deep and rich coverage of these pencils. Why stick to the boring and dull colors when you can buy this set and bring your creative ideas and goals to life? Each pencil is numbered for easy organization. This set is non-toxic and comes in a metal tin box.
- Each pencil is numbered
- Great price and superior quality
- Deep and rich coverage
- Not a wide range of colors
Prismacolor Scholar 48 Colored Pencils
(Best Colored Pencils for Beginners)
Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils is a perfect tool for developing your craft or practicing your drawing techniques. If you are looking for a set for both intermediate and beginning students, this one is the one for you. It features strong cores, richly saturated pigment, soft leads, durable easel packaging and more.
Bring life to your creations by ordering this set. Prismacolor is one of the most popular brands out there and delivers high-quality tools. Now, let’s summarize the pros and cons of this set before your purchase.
- Ideal for developing crafts
- Great for practice your drawing skills
- Suitable for beginners and intermediate students
- String cores, richly saturated pigment, soft leads and durable packaging
- Best coloring pencils for students
- Made by a popular brand
- Not 60 colors as advertised (58)
- The color selection lacks dark brown and dark brown
- Some customers did not like the case
Crayola 240 Colored Pencils
(Best Colored Pencils for School)
Crayola has a classroom set of colored pencils as well. It features 240 colored pencils in different colors with sharpeners. If you want a set of coloring pencils in white, red-orange, yellow, red, sky blue, green, red, yellow-green, violet, brown and black, this set is for you. It comes in a nicely organized storage box.
The pencils come pre-sharpened and make the perfect addition to school supplies and teaching coloring tools. The set is safe and non-toxic. Meaning, it is perfect for both adults and kids at the age of 4 and up.
- Best colored pencils for toddlers
- Ideal for both children and adults
- Classroom set of 240 colored pencils in different colors with sharpeners
- They come pre-sharpened and ready to use
- The perfect addition to school supplies
- Beautifully organized storage case
- Hard to sharpen
- Some buyers received a damaged case
Cra-Z-art 72 Colored Pencils
Cra-Z-art is a set of 72 colored pencils with pre-sharpened thick and smooth leads. It delivers long-lasting and bright colors. It has a school quality and makes the perfect tool for creating, sketching, drawing and coloring. If you want something durable and versatile that will boost your arts, buy this set immediately.
- Long-lasting and bright colors
- School quality tools for sketching, drawing, and coloring
- Durable and versatile pencils
- Tips wear down quickly
Holbein Colored Pencils Pastel Tone Set 50 Colors
Holbein colored pencils pastel tone is a set of 50 colored pencils made by kneading a pigment with oil or wax and drying it. Next, the dried color core is put in a stem. These tools are carefully picked fine-frained pigments. They are oil-based, soft coloring tools that are made to meet the needs of experienced artists.
Professionals adore this set, however, beginners can find it useful and fun too. These pencils are great at painting the main colors one after another without lifting your hand. Now, let’s check out the main cons.
- Oil-based, soft coloring tools
- Carefully picked fine-frained pigments
- Perfect for professional artists
Derwent 0701026 12 Colored Pencils
(Best Colored Pencils for Blending)
Smooth blending, sturdy core, soft texture, and vibrant color are some of the benefits that you get from this set. Each one has a 4mm softcore and glides over many surfaces. They are great for building up fast. You can easily make bold and dynamic drawings, express your creativity and bring your creations to life.
However, the thing I like the most about this set is the break-resistant core and precise results thanks to the fine points. Now, let’s check out the pros and cons of these colored pencils set before you buy them.
- Smooth blending, sturdy core, soft texture, and vibrant color
- A round 4mm softcore that glides over many different surfaces
- A break-resistant core that is perfect for bold, dynamic drawing
- Colored pencils that blend well
- They do not hold a sharp point for very long
- Uneven coverage
Castle Art Supplies 120 Colored Pencil Set for artists
(Best Cheap Colored Pencils)
Last but not least, Castle Art Supplies is a set of 120 colored pencils for artists. It delivers a soft, smooth application and enables excellent blending. If you want to take your art to a new level, this set is for you.
Vibrant colors and numbered identifications are just a few of the benefits you get if you purchase these colored pencils. On top of all, they are reliable and affordable. Meaning, you will get a high-quality set of colored pencils at a low cost. It comes with a Color happiness guarantee. You can buy a worry-free asap.
- 120 colored pencils for artists
- Soft and smooth application and excellent blending
- Vibrant colors and numbered identifications
- A reliable and durable set of colored pencils
- Color happiness guarantee
- No sharpener
- Super fragile case
- The core is almost too soft
- They break easily
- Strong smell
Why Use Colored Pencils?
Using colored pencils has many benefits. They allow precision, control of detail and depth. You can work with many layers in order to get the effect of oil paint or lightly for a softer look. Colored pencils come in a storage case. They are easy to carry and travel with. And you can use colored pencils almost anywhere.
Types of Colored Pencils
You can choose between three main types of colored pencils including water-soluble, oil-based and wax-based. Wax-based is the most common type on the market. The core contains pigments bound by wax.
Are Colored Pencils Toxic?
Most colored pencils are not toxic, including the ones that I have reviewed in this article. They are made of natural wood. So, there are zero risks that bad substances like toxic colors or solvents enter your skin.
Are Colored Pencils Waterproof?
Not all of them. However, most colored pencils are waterproof, especially waxy colored pencils. Please refer to my comparison chart and set reviews in order to find the best set of waterproof colored pencils.
Are Colored Pencils Safe on Skin?
Unfortunately, colored pencils are not tested for safety on the skin. However, most pencils out there are labeled as non-toxic. Meaning, they will probably not cause any harm to your skin and have side effects.
How to Sharpen Colored Pencils?
Hold your colored pencil in one hand and the knife for sharpening on the other hand. Hold the knife at an angle. I suggest that you carefully press it down against the end of the pencil, shaving it off step-by-step. Rotate the colored pencil to evenly shave each side. Refer to this tutorial for detailed instructions.
Are Colored Pencils Erasable?
Yes, most colored pencils are erasable. They make a great coloring and drawing tool in the classroom or at home. One specific type of erasable colored pencils with soft and thick lead is Crayola Colored Pencils.
Are Colored Pencils Graphite?
Colored pencils have a protective casing made of real wood and a core of colored pigment. A standard pencil has a core of clay and graphite, but most colored pencils have a core created of additives, binding agents, pigments, and wax. Which one you choose depends on your needs and personal requirements.
Can Colored Pencils Be Used On Canvas?
Yes, you can use charcoal, pastels, and pencils to draw on the canvas and make unusual and dramatic effects. Different drawing surfaces make a range of bold and subtle texture effects. You can use graphite pencils to draw on the canvas. However, they must be sealed with a fixative in order to turn permanent.
Can Colored Pencils Be Used On Fabric?
Yes, you can them. It does not have to be a ready-to-dye fabric. You can play with many colored pencils and add design and color to the fabric. For a quilted piece, the fabrics can be layered and quilted before colors are added or the coloring can be done before the quilting. You can also use crayons or oil pastels.
Can You Bring Colored Pencils On a Plane?
You can bring colored pencils on a plane. They are clean and safe art supply and you can carry them with you anywhere without any problem. Avoid pressurized containers or liquids such as solvents or fixatives.
Arteza Colored Pencils vs Prismacolor
Arteza colored pencils are ideal for blending and come with a wax-based, soft lead that delivers a great tone and smooth shades. You will get Arteza colored pencils in a protective tin box at a reasonable price.
Prismacolor, on the other hand, makes the best-colored pencils for beginners and coloring books but the best part about this brand is that they have very acceptable prices. You can buy a pencil for only $0.60 if you order a set of 150 pencils. They are made of soft wax and blend perfectly with a smooth application.
Colored Pencils vs Color Pencils
Colored pencils are the same as color pencils. “Colored” is an adjective that describes them. It requires “-ed”. People might believe that pencils are for “coloring”, so that is why they call them “color” pencils.
Colored Pencils vs Markers
Colored pencils allow you to use various mediums and blend evenly. Markers, on the other hand, blend using various techniques but you cannot blend with different levels of pressure like with colored pencils.
Colored Pencils vs Crayons
Colored pencils are perfect for drawing, shading, coloring, blending and more. Most of them come in a tin storage box and deliver excellent coverage. Crayons, on the other hand, are more true to their color and when they get dull, peel the paper down and they will turn sharp again. Also, they are much softer.
Colored Pencils vs Watercolor Pencils
Colored pencils have a pigment with a binder of oil or wax unlike water-soluble pigments in watercolor. The oily-waxed base of colored pencils makes them super easy to layer colors with and mix. They can be used for burnishing as well. Watercolor pencils are recommended for beginners and experienced artists.
Colored Pencils vs Map Pencils
Map pencils are in fact the colored pencils. Crayola makes map pencils. They usually produce a pack of 10 and look like pencils. However, they are of various colors. Refer to my comparison chart for products.
Colored Pencils vs Gel Pens
Gel pens look like pens but deliver colorful and shiny ink. You can find gel pens in glitter colors, standard colors and metallic colors. They are known for their solid and shiny output and they come at a low price.
Colored Pencils vs Paint
Paint is just like standard colored pencils. The difference is in the performance. The paint reacts to water and can create an effect similar to watercolor. The binding in watercolor pigments is water-soluble, so when you add water, it releases more pigment and provides intense colors for people who prefer them.
Colored Pencils vs Pastels
Colored pencils can be used for smaller pieces while pastels can cover large areas with ease. Using them in larger areas would not be as time-consuming as using colored pencils. Both types are easily blendable, vibrant and give precise results. Which one you choose depends on your needs and personal preference.
How To Use Colored Pencils Like a Pro?
Using colored pencils is not that hard. If you want to learn how to use colored pencils like a pro, you can watch YouTube videos and experiment with your own different techniques. Please, watch this tutorial.
How Many Colored Pencils Do I Need?
As many as you can possibly get. If you are a beginner, I suggest that you buy a set of 50 to 100 colored pencils and upgrade as your skills grow. Some beginners start with less, so it is up to you to choose how many colored pencils do you need. Will you be doing this for a hobby? Or you want to master coloring?
Colored Pencils Tutorial
In order to help you learn how to use colored pencils, I have found these two step-by-step tutorials for beginners. They will teach you some colored pencil techniques and colored pencil drawing techniques.
Colored Pencils Techniques
Colored pencils represent a versatile and fun media. They are perfect for capturing fine detail and giving people control over their artwork. In order to master this craft, you should learn common colored pencil techniques. Using the right colored pencil techniques, you can create your own masterpieces in no time.
Colored Pencils Tips
Even professionals use tips and tricks in order to complete their work faster and better. I will share a few sources on how to use colored pencils like a pro. Also, refer to this guide on dozens of other tips & tricks.
If you want a professional set of colored pencils, ARTEZA 48 Colored Pencils Professional Set is perfect for you. If you want something that is more suitable for beginners, look no further than the Prismacolor Scholar 48 Colored Pencils. If you are on a budget, Castle Art Supplies 120 Colored Pencil Set for artists.
Hopefully, my buyer’s guide and colored pencils reviews can help you pick the best-colored pencils for your needs. Have you ever used some of these colored pencils? What is your experience? Let me know in the comment section below. Also, feel free to ask any questions associated with this interesting topic.